• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractors told that we are going to be offered permie roles"

Collapse

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    Is that all? I take on average about 40 days! Surely one of the benefits of contracting ... I think most permie jobs will give you about 21, with the offer to sell back about 5.
    depends on what rate you are on and how much you spend.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    Is that all? I take on average about 40 days! Surely one of the benefits of contracting ... I think most permie jobs will give you about 21, with the offer to sell back about 5.
    permi jobs must give you at least 20 plus 8 bank holidays (or 28 freely chosen days) with no chance to sell back days from the minimum figure

tim

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    They want you to be motivated by something other than money...
    What, like stupidity?

( Just finishing the quote for the benefit of the Dilbertless ).

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Show that you are keen but delay. Look for other work, make lots of calls, and turn up late one morning in a suit to get them worried.

Suggest renegotiating your contract instead of going perm. Small rate reduction, more hours, increased responsibility etc. Perm is just a super cheap contract; the 'benefits' are bulltulipe.

Ask to be made a special case. Tell them you have outside interests and are reluctant to commit "forever". Tell them you have a "meeting" with a potential client.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Contractor UK View Post
    Just to flag up that Lawdit offered some legal guidance on this part of the "Beating the IT contract crunch" (http://www.contractoruk.com/guides/contracts-index.html) series in Contractor Guides:

I’m being pressured to become an employee

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Contractor UK
    replied
    CUK lawdit article

Just to flag up that Lawdit offered some legal guidance on this part of the "Beating the IT contract crunch" (http://www.contractoruk.com/guides/contracts-index.html) series in Contractor Guides:

I’m being pressured to become an employee

HTH

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Last permie job I had offered between 20 and 35 days holiday - it was up to you how much of your flexible benefits package you spent on it.

My last year there, I took a month unpaid leave, two weeks paternity leave, and five weeks holiday (and carried ten days over to the following year, which I got as cash when I left).

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    1. I take, on average 15 days a year. Any more and it hits the take home too much.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Then have a good sit and think about the package.

You want 6 weeks leave a year (because you are accustomed to, what, 15?).

You want 5 days' technical training per year.

x% non-contributory pension.

A severance package: 20% of salary if they dismiss you in under 2 years.

etc.

(It's been that long that I cannot remember what goes into a permie package!)

They'll shaft you on the salary so try to shaft them on the benefits.
    Severance package + pension is good - if you can get it in writing. Less room for them to wriggle out of it.

Training - they'll lie to you and promise you the earth and what you'll end up is one afternoon of diversity training per year.

Probably best tactic is to say something like:

"Of course I'd love to go permie at your lovely company, it's just that right now I can't <insert some excuse, e.g. tax bill, company year end, etc.> but in 6 months I'd be able to."

Rinse and repeat.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    4. Not sure that would go down to well.
    Of course not, what they want is a contractor on the cheap, and this is a polite way of saying don't kid a kidder.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Then have a good sit and think about the package.

1. You want 6 weeks leave a year (because you are accustomed to, what, 15?).
    2. You want 5 days' technical training per year.
    3. x% non-contributory pension.
    4. A severance package: 20% of salary if they dismiss you in under 2 years.

They'll shaft you on the salary so try to shaft them on the benefits.
    1. I take, on average 15 days a year. Any more and it hits the take home too much.

2. Training for what precisely ? The job is the same today as it was 4 years ago, apart from the quantity of work has increased. Tell a lie. We have rolled out some new software in to the live environments and by the time I fixed the bugs, I learnt enough to support it . The clients systems went down a few times but that's par for the course.

3. At my age, I'd need to save 5 times my salary a month to even make a difference. Can't afford a pension.

4. Not sure that would go down to well.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    I've been offered a permie job at all my gigs. I did it once - never again <shudders>.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    hold on a minute! When did it change from "offered" to an ultimatum?

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Depends what's on offer I guess.

I don't really have much choice, the market is poo, the job is technically easy, it's 10 mins drive from home, and it fits in very well with my MS due to the nature of the work.

Plus I suppose there are holidays to look forward to again, paid sick, etc.

On the face of it, I'm just grumbling, when there are others who don't have a job at all.

I'll shut up and be thankful, as they like to remind us contractors on site.
    My old boss was offered a permie role, booked the next flight to New Zeland as soon as the current contract ended. Couldn't get away quick enough

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    Remember to sign up for loads of committees etc....

I knew someone who came in and volunteered for all staff council / 'green' compliance / H&S etc etc committees - didn't actually do anything productive and got a very good annual increase on the strength of it....

He was also one of the last out when the subsiduary finally slipped beneath the waves...

Good luck.... as long as it takes you closer to where you want to be...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X