• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: trains

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "trains"

Collapse

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    First class on trains, business on planes and first class airport lounges are the only things that get me up at 5am on a Monday morning to greet the week...
    Look, you can have them both together
    http://web.orange.co.uk/article/news...&article=index

Leave a comment:

• Billy-Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    Give me a car any day. It's out there in the car park waiting for me, I don't have to stand on a cold and wet platform for 45 minutes waiting for it because the engineering work supposedly overran, or because the rolling stock wasn't in the right place. I don't have to listen to my music on headphones as I can blast it out as loud as I want, and I can sing along if I want to. Nor do I have to listen to half of a conversation that other tossers are shouting into their mobiles. My car's clean and tidy, and there's no vomit or chewing gum I might accidentally sit on.

Oh, and I ALWAYS get a seat. So there!

Quite agree. Also it’s somewhere to snooze if you need to. I try to travel by train but the trains are unreliable. The new trains are not as comfortable as the old ones. (not even first class).

There are few cross country trains or even lines. A 15 mile car journey to the next town is 40 miles and 1 ½ hours by train. A one hour drive east will take five hours by train.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Do first class occasionally, not worth it on east midland line, they've limited the service and most of the time they're short staffed.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Give me a car any day. It's out there in the car park waiting for me, I don't have to stand on a cold and wet platform for 45 minutes waiting for it because the engineering work supposedly overran, or because the rolling stock wasn't in the right place. I don't have to listen to my music on headphones as I can blast it out as loud as I want, and I can sing along if I want to. Nor do I have to listen to half of a conversation that other tossers are shouting into their mobiles. My car's clean and tidy, and there's no vomit or chewing gum I might accidentally sit on.

Oh, and I ALWAYS get a seat. So there!

Leave a comment:

• rhubarb
    replied
    No-one else here unfortunate enough to travel on FCC it seems.
    Todays "service" consists of around 150 cancelled trains.
    Most annoying.

Rhubarb.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Is there ANYONE who travels second class on the trains here? I do, but anyone I've seen posting on this forum states they go in 1st.

You must all be on too-high rates
    I always go 1st - BUT I always book in advance to get the cheaper fares too, oh and I get some free travel cos I'm a member of Virgin Traveller

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    First class on trains, business on planes and first class airport lounges are the only things that get me up at 5am on a Monday morning to greet the week...

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Always go first class.

Although the tea on the east coast mainline tastes like the sweaty juice of a tramp's most favourite pants.

Always get a couple of stella on a Friday evening.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    the joys of first class dahlink
    Is there ANYONE who travels second class on the trains here? I do, but anyone I've seen posting on this forum states they go in 1st.

You must all be on too-high rates

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    feeling mellow on the train home, had a nice hot meal, several voddies and coffee.
    Tom Waits on poddie and feeling mellow.
    Soooo much better than driving.
    Tell me about it. Just spent over two hours fighting may way home through the traffic, roadworks and pissing wind and rain

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    feeling mellow on the train home, had a nice hot meal, several voddies and coffee.
    the joys of first class dahlink

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    I rode my bicycle, 30km through sleet.
    That's Doncaster for you!

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Ah the thursday evening finish. This is what contracting is all about

It's about going out Thursday night and getting battered, then going in for 2 hours in the morning before going home.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Ah the thursday evening finish. This is what contracting is all about

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    I rode my bicycle, 30km through sleet.
    Lambo in the garage again?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X