• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "cash in hand or cheque"

Collapse

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    So it sounds like getting 10% off should not be too much of a problem... thanks people.
    Yes, but you don't normally get the full 15% VAT off in my experience. Some still give you a receipt, if there is any sort of guarantee involved I'd ask for one, if not who cares. Being known as a cash payer is also good for getting them to turn up in future.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    So it sounds like getting 10% off should not be too much of a problem... thanks people.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    A mate of mine runs a car servicing and repair business. He will do cash jobs for friends that are discounted by the VAT and don't go through the books. He said it was a bit of a nightmare keeping on top of it all because he didn't want to get to the point where he was reclaiming more VAT than he was collecting as it would look suspect.

Twenty years ago I brought a guitar from a shop. When I went to pay for it with cash the bloke knocked 12.5% off the price and said "That's the best I can do." I was innocent of such things in those days and had no idea why I suddenly got this discount.

I have turned down quotes from removal firms in the past because the bloke assessing the quote has said "If you don't want to pay the VAT we can do something about that."

It's endemic.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    There are a number of trades people I know who "will knock the vat off for cash" The punter thinks he on on to a good deal nudge nudge but the trader still puts it through the books and pays the vat.
    Yep. I used to know a chap who used that technique regularly in order to
    • get the sale
    • get paid promptly without the hassle of bouncing cheques or credit card charges

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    And only libellous if it turns out to be untrue.
    Bizarrely truth is not necessarily an absolute defence in a defamation case. Though it will generally win.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    There are a number of trades people I know who "will knock the vat off for cash" The punter thinks he on on to a good deal nudge nudge but the trader still puts it through the books and pays the vat.
    My plumber does the same - I still get a VAT invoice for everything that I pay him, but pay cash because it makes no odds to me but helps his cash flow.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    That's libellous. How do you know that he's not paying VAT on it, or putting it through the books?

As a small trader, he may find that accepting cash is a better payment method because he incurs lower charges, or enables him to purchase materials quicker, since he doesn't need the payment to clear.

There are many legitimate reasons for accepting cash payments.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    It's only libellous if I identified the individual involved.
    And only libellous if it turns out to be untrue.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied

Shouldn't that be

"</pedant>"

?

We have a tag for spelling and pointless pedantry

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    </pedant>
    <pedant>
    Shouldn't that be

<pedant>
    "</pedant>"
    </pedant>

?

</pedant>

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    <pedant>
    It's not libellous. You can't identify an individual.
    </pedant>

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    That's libellous. How do you know that he's not paying VAT on it, or putting it through the books?

As a small trader, he may find that accepting cash is a better payment method because he incurs lower charges, or enables him to purchase materials quicker, since he doesn't need the payment to clear.

<pedant>
    It's not libellous. You can't identify an individual.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied

It's only libellous if I identified the individual involved.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    And if it goes wrong - what evidence you got to get him to fix it?

I'm all for a bit of the black economy (can we still say that?), but sometimes it can work against you.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    If it's not going on the books, what happens if it develops a fault?
    The person who does the work.

Get a receipt for the work, same as you would with any other payment mechanism.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X