• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The army and our return in investment"

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Why can't they just finish the job?
    If you can define the job, I'm pretty sure the combined services could finish it.

It seems to me that the mission is to: sit in Afghanistan, get shot at or get blown up - one that seems to be accomplished on a daily basis by souls far braver than I.

My preference would be to turn the entire region to glass, but that doesn't go down too well with the world since those two squibs in Japan...

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    That is not a taboo subject at all. It is a big subject though, so broad criticisms are not particularly useful.

Kilwilkie ? The chances are that you are my son, so can we have a bit more respect please ?

Heh he. I used to go into the pub on one side of the street and flash my id and get free orange beer all night. Then I would cross the road, lay on my accent, tell them my name and get free green beers all night

Whats life like now, in Lurgan ?

Not been back in years, in fact the last day I was there someone fired a grenade launcher at the police as I walked out the pub. Failed to go off though, must have got soggy on the ship the Gadaffi sent them over on.

I'm sure Lurgan is pretty much the same, they still seem to be putting burning cars on the tracks every so often cutting of the Dublin Belfast trains. Same old Same old.

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    Old Robert Kilroy-Silk nailed this on Question Time last week, all the UK terror plots originate in British cities and their friends and relatives in Pakistan.
    The nationalities of anyone involved in the terror plots seems to be Pakistani, "British", Somalian, Algerian, Saudi, Yemani. In fact perversely they are likely to be nationals or descendents from any Muslim country EXCEPT Afghanistan or Iraq.

Afghanistan may happen to be an additional patch of land for training purposes for non-Afghan Islamists, but it is a horrifically expensive way to police the problem sending the British Army there for an indefinite period.
    And it does not kill an idea, only displaces the people who would have trained there to do it elsewhere, or in fact attract those who do want to fight British and American troops.
    I thought we went in to fight Al Queda, but now the war is mainly with the taliban and any other heroin-trade based militias. They need to deploy the resources back in this country policing who comes in and goes out to the above mentioned countries.
    Last edited by GreenerGrass; 8 November 2009, 11:38.

Leave a comment:

• TinTrump
    replied
    My view is, after entering Kabul with the "Northern Alliance" we should have got out ASAP. That means within months, not years. Its this preposterous notion that such invaded nations want the assumed benefits of an imposed democratic system. So the election is held and Karzai is returned after widespread vote-rigging. What's the point again?

Leave a comment:

• Sol4ever
    replied
    Serious question.

With all the money we spend on them why cannot they finish the job? years they have been in Afghanistan and they are still getting the run around.

We all kick off when we see government contracts in IT coming in late, but why are the army getting off lightly? They said they could do the job but obviously are not capable of bettering a bunch of farmers they said were won over with their heart and minds drivel 5 years ago.

If you want the real reason why us and uk troops are there just google TAPI Pipeline!

Leave a comment:

• Evil Hangover
    replied
    We're not really there to fight terror, that's bulls***.

The terrorists are unfortunately far more mobile than any army. Invading and conquering Afghanistan, is a fools errand as proven multiple times in the past

We're there because Tony had his tongue firmly wedged up Bush's arse and because Gordon is a gutless coward. He won't admit to the public before the general election that they've made a huge mistake

He's too concerned about himself.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I am simply saying that we could expect more but to say that the army is not doing its job well is a completely taboo topic.

And yes, you would have got shot at coming into Kilwilkie.
    That is not a taboo subject at all. It is a big subject though, so broad criticisms are not particularly useful.

Kilwilkie ? The chances are that you are my son, so can we have a bit more respect please ?

Heh he. I used to go into the pub on one side of the street and flash my id and get free orange beer all night. Then I would cross the road, lay on my accent, tell them my name and get free green beers all night

Whats life like now, in Lurgan ?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    The Taleban pays better than anything else (Russia, USA, UK - they don't care). You are a contractor so I'm sure you can see the commercial advantage in joining them.
    What do the Taliban pay?

I'm sure this is something you read in the metro once and will now quickly google.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    The Taleban pays better than anything else (Russia, USA, UK - they don't care). You are a contractor so I'm sure you can see the commercial advantage in joining them.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    There is zero doubt in my mind that you are entitled to your view, and entitled to put it forcefully. So carry on.
    I think soldiers get this all the time, why are we there, whats the point, look at the human cost etc.
    I never never came across the concept of a return on Investment from a conflict before though. You make it sound like the military is a business concern and that wars are business ventures.

It never seemed like that to me. Maybe I am the lucky one, having worked as a developer in business, and having been shot at a few times as well, I can see both sides of the coin

I am simply saying that we could expect more but to say that the army is not doing its job well is a completely taboo topic.

And yes, you would have got shot at coming into Kilwilkie.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Did anyone just see that army throbber on the ITV news?

"It is a war that is winnable and we are winning" yadda yaddda

"we are taking the fight to them"
    There is zero doubt in my mind that you are entitled to your view, and entitled to put it forcefully. So carry on.
    I think soldiers get this all the time, why are we there, whats the point, look at the human cost etc.
    I never never came across the concept of a return on Investment from a conflict before though. You make it sound like the military is a business concern and that wars are business ventures.

It never seemed like that to me. Maybe I am the lucky one, having worked as a developer in business, and having been shot at a few times as well, I can see both sides of the coin

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    The Afgan campaign was reasonable in 2001, the idea being to stop them hosting and assisting international terrorists that threatened the west.

Then in 2003 we split our forces and invaded Iraq...

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Did anyone just see that army throbber on the ITV news?

"It is a war that is winnable and we are winning" yadda yaddda

"we are taking the fight to them"

Can this throbber not read what I posted last 2 months ago about their repeated drivel on "talking the fight to them"

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ighlight=fight

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    When the Yanks decide to leave, the British Army will have finished the job.

The job is to show solidarity with the Yanks, and help them as best we can.
    But were told the job was done.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Serious question.

With all the money we spend on them why cannot they finish the job? years they have been in Afghanistan and they are still getting the run around.

We all kick off when we see government contracts in IT coming in late, but why are the army getting off lightly? They said they could do the job but obviously are not capable of bettering a bunch of farmers they said were won over with their heart and minds drivel 5 years ago.

When the Yanks decide to leave, the British Army will have finished the job.

The job is to show solidarity with the Yanks, and help them as best we can.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X