• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Been a developer now for 3 hours ..."

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Sounds like wotsisname is doing very well dragging and dropping his parts.

Of course there's more to software development than disgusting social habits

Leave a comment:

• DeepBlue
    replied
    Originally posted by Scary View Post
    5 years of C and you should be able to write C in any language.
    Nail, head.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by juststarting View Post
    Where did "You do all codes" originated from ?
    Bob and his mates!

Leave a comment:

• juststarting
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    You do all codes.
    Where did "You do all codes" originated from ?

Leave a comment:

• Scary
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    5 years of solid "C" development and you should be able to write software in any language.
    5 years of C and you should be able to write C in any language.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Developing software in "C" I then progressed to "C++" having developed software in "C++" under Visual Studio this gave me access to MSDN. MSDN taught me all I want to know about lambda expressions, expression trees & closures.

Simples.

You sir, are pwned!
    You do all codes.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    5 years of solid "C" development and you should be able to write software in any language.
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    What do you know of lambda expressions, expression trees & closures?

Not alot I would have thought.
    Developing software in "C" I then progressed to "C++" having developed software in "C++" under Visual Studio this gave me access to MSDN. MSDN taught me all I want to know about lambda expressions, expression trees & closures.

Simples.

You sir, are pwned!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    What do you know of lambda expressions, expression trees & closures?

Not alot I would have thought.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Spoken like a true script monkey.
    Spoken like a clueless fuqwit.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Spoken like a true script monkey.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DeepBlue
    replied
    Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
    I'm fairly confident that I, or any other expereinced developer, could pick up another mainstream language we're not familiar with, and given a couple of weeks, get to a level of proficiency where we would be comfortable enough to discuss it with an SME for that language.
    Agreed. I'm Java/J2EE. Give me a week to become productive in .NET, another two to three and I might write some reasonable code. Three months in I'd expect to be able to pimp out those skills. One year before I actually understand the cleaner ways to work around the imperfections in the language.

But only because I understand a bunch of the nastier aspects of Java. If I wasn't looking for the tricks, hacks and kludges, becoming competent would take much longer.

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl View Post
    Takes about 5 years experience before you can master .NET, its huge.
    The trick to mastering .NET and development in general is to understand it from first principals. Then it becomes easy. Its mastering how to understand those first principals that require years of practise and experience.

I'm fairly confident that I, or any other expereinced developer, could pick up another mainstream language we're not familiar with, and given a couple of weeks, get to a level of proficiency where we would be comfortable enough to discuss it with an SME for that language.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Takes about 5 years experience before you can master .NET, its huge.

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    That's what coding is now. Plugging .Net widgets (sorry Weltchy ) together. Fill yer boots. Loooooooooaaaaaaadsa moooooooneeeeeey.

HTH

Control damn it. Control.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X