• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Colditz

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Colditz"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    The fact that they built a working glider in an attic speaks volumes. Must have left a few people without comfortable beds though.
    Indeed. The walls were so thick that french prisoners managed to construct a tunnel down the centre of the wall, disposing of the debris in the loft. They dug for 8 months and got to within metres of safety then were found out and had to fill it all in. How gutted must they have been? They even went through the wine cellar, and I was surprised they ventured any further, but they did. Meanwhile the Brits were making lighting systems from old tins and stolen light bulbs, and ventilation systems for the tunnels out of old bellows. Truly impressive what was accomplished really.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    About 15 years ago I spent a few days in Chemnitz working on a GSM mobile network there. A few of us Brits had the weekend off and went to visit Colditz. Fascinating place, and the ingenuity and resilience of the inmates was phenomenal. I highly recommend a visit to anyone with any interest in man's ability to endure. I mean cutting through multiple 10" thick oak beams with a kitchen knife in a confined space!!!!! Astonishing!!
    The fact that they built a working glider in an attic speaks volumes. Must have left a few people without comfortable beds though.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    About 15 years ago I spent a few days in Chemnitz working on a GSM mobile network there. A few of us Brits had the weekend off and went to visit Colditz. Fascinating place, and the ingenuity and resilience of the inmates was phenomenal. I highly recommend a visit to anyone with any interest in man's ability to endure. I mean cutting through multiple 10" thick oak beams with a kitchen knife in a confined space!!!!! Astonishing!!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Another one to add to the list, now I've remembered the name.

Enemy in Sight.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I used to always try and make a break in the car from Colditz.

I may have Axis and Allies somewhere if anyone wants to buy it from me

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    I second on Settlers of Catan, as for Talisman & Civalization you most likely will only get the new edition ones now which are not as good but still great fun

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Yes I remember that as a kid, my daughter is going to miss out on all the new fangled games as I've taken to collecting old classics. I'll add Colditz to the list of games to look out for.

So far I have:

Cluedo
    Guess who?
    Connect four
    Stratego
    Risk

She's only 2.
    Some others to add to the list :

Settlers of Catan
    Britannia
    History of The World
    Railway Rivals
    Talisman
    Civilisation
    Cosmic Encounter
    Axis and Allies

You may have to wait till she is a little older for some of these

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Yes there is a link - I married him & yes that is where he nicked his avatar name from

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    Indeed Coldiz was a classic

Do not write of all new games, admittedly the ones generally available on the English High Streets are terrible but there are a lot of decent games out there, for advice & reviews check out the forums on BoardGameGeek.com

There seems to be a resurgence in board games as even Amazon i s now stocking decent stuff.
    Any relation to BGG here?

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Indeed Coldiz was a classic

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    going to miss out on all the new fangled games

Do not write of all new games, admittedly the ones generally available on the English High Streets are terrible but there are a lot of decent games out there, for advice & reviews check out the forums on BoardGameGeek.com

There seems to be a resurgence in board games as even Amazon i s now stocking decent stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    I remember "Do or die" card...

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Does anyone remember the board game Colditz ?
    You had a bunch of little wooden pieces that represented prisoners and you collected cards that provided kit that helped you escape. Like ropes and wire cutters.
    The German player had cards that helped him keep you all locked up.

Well I saw a boardgame in Waterstones yesterday called Rotten Romans.

The gladiators have to escape from Rome by using cards they accumulate, blah blah blah.

It looks like a blooming rip-off to me

Yes I remember that as a kid, my daughter is going to miss out on all the new fangled games as I've taken to collecting old classics. I'll add Colditz to the list of games to look out for.

So far I have:

Cluedo
    Guess who?
    Connect four
    Stratego
    Risk

She's only 2.

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    £65 will buy you a first edition of the game.

http://www.sircollectalot.co.uk/boar...-/prod_25.html

Leave a comment:

• Toastiness
    replied
    Loved that game.
    Particularly when I was the German and I had a Shoot to Kill card

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Does anyone remember the board game Colditz ?
    You had a bunch of little wooden pieces that represented prisoners and you collected cards that provided kit that helped you escape. Like ropes and wire cutters.
    The German player had cards that helped him keep you all locked up.

Well I saw a boardgame in Waterstones yesterday called Rotten Romans.

The gladiators have to escape from Rome by using cards they accumulate, blah blah blah.

It looks like a blooming rip-off to me

Yep, remember it well. The Chapel Tunnel, going over the wall, the guards calling Appel just as you were about to make your move. Excellent game

Leave a comment:

Working...
X