• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "That is it : I am becoming a programmer."

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    BBC BASIC was great because it supported named procedures and functions, and multiline control structures like repeat...until. If you wanted to get your head around Structured Programming (which was still a fairly new concept in the non-computer-scientist realm in those days), it was thoroughly supportive.

Its major failings were that it still used line numbers and didn't support multiline if...then...else... constructs. Still, having to put all your if...then...else... stuff on one line encouraged one to move the action of the then and else clauses into named procedures: another win, if only by dint of working around a limitation, for encouraging the habit of structuring one's code using meaningful names.

And of course, if it hadn't been for BBC BASIC's built-in Assembler, we might never have had Elite, the original version of which was written therewith
    I programmed in a language that had loops like a 'begin, while, repeat' . Very useful, and it's often amusing to see how people manage it in other languages.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    I miss BASIC on my ZX spectrum 48k

oh happy days
    BBC BASIC was great because it supported named procedures and functions, and multiline control structures like repeat...until. If you wanted to get your head around Structured Programming (which was still a fairly new concept in the non-computer-scientist realm in those days), it was thoroughly supportive.

Its major failings were that it still used line numbers and didn't support multiline if...then...else... constructs. Still, having to put all your if...then...else... stuff on one line encouraged one to move the action of the then and else clauses into named procedures: another win, if only by dint of working around a limitation, for encouraging the habit of structuring one's code using meaningful names.

And of course, if it hadn't been for BBC BASIC's built-in Assembler, we might never have had Elite, the original version of which was written therewith

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    DEC = licence to print money !
    It was at one time. I came across more than one company who made a lot of money out of competing with their sky high prices.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    I miss BASIC on my ZX spectrum 48k

oh happy days

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    To be fair, core memory was literally hand-stitched, so it was always going to be more expensive than soldering a few chips to a board

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    They were bought with the budget that had originally been allocated to upgrade the PDP8/e from 8K to 16K of core

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Eee, it were all paper tape when I were a lass.

No not really, but for some bizarre reason I had to learn how to read it
    We used paper tape on the PDP8/e at school, but that was replaced by a couple of SWTPC 6800 systems in 1979.

They each had 64K of RAM. They were bought with the budget that had originally been allocated to upgrade the PDP8/e from 8K to 16K of core

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    In my first professional programming job we had ashtrays in the lab
    Eee, it were all paper tape when I were a lass.

No not really, but for some bizarre reason I had to learn how to read it

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Hehe

Some people I've worked with started progamming at a time when instead of having a PC on your desk you had an ashtray.
    Only the lab guys had physical access to a/the computer
    In my first professional programming job we had ashtrays in the lab

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    I really used to hate people who commented linkages.

It's obvious! 'return to scheduler' indeed!

Anyway. Never mind the return. Can you code an entry linkage without a 'begin' macro?

I used to trip up loads of 'expert assembler programmers' with that question at interviews.
    Thats actually the code for IEFBR14, the program that does nothing yet everyone uses

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Real programming:

Code:
    SR    R15,R15  put zero into register 15 (return code)
    BR    R14      branch to the address in register 14 (return to scheduler)
    I really used to hate people who commented linkages.

It's obvious! 'return to scheduler' indeed!

Anyway. Never mind the return. Can you code an entry linkage without a 'begin' macro?

I used to trip up loads of 'expert assembler programmers' with that question at interviews.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Real programming:

Code:
    SR    R15,R15  put zero into register 15 (return code)
    BR    R14      branch to the address in register 14 (return to scheduler)

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Give me a chance, I was 7 when the CPC464 was launched (and not much older when I wrote my first program)
    Code:
    ;; A simple program to display "Hello World". This program
    ;; will work with CP/M 2.1 and C/PM +

;; origin for CP/M programs
    org &100
    nolist
    write"cpmex1.com"

;;---------------------------------------------------------
    .bdos equ 5

;; display message and then return back to the command-line

ld hl,message
    call display_message
    ret

;; HL = pointer to null terminated message
    .display_message
    ld a,(hl)				;; get ASCII character
    inc hl					;; increment pointer for next character
    or a					;; end of message marker (0)?
    ret z					;; quit if end of message marker found.

call display_char		;; send character to console output
    jp display_message		;; loop for next char

;; put character to console
    ;;
    ;; A = ASCII character

.display_char
    push hl
    ld c,2			;; console output function id
    ld e,a			;; ASCII character
    call bdos		;; call BDOS to execute function
    pop hl
    ret

;; the message to display

.message
    defb "Hello World!",0
    By any chance?

Not my code btw.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    3 years too late.
    Give me a chance, I was 7 when the CPC464 was launched (and not much older when I wrote my first program)

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Ah, a 6502 man.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X