• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mandelson vows to cut off serial Web pirates"

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Permie chap nearby downloads a lot music (no movies). He got a letter accusing him of persistently download Disney movies and tells him to stop. Are they guessing what he downloads or is the detection software crap?
    The detection software is pretty crap.

On top of that, some of the investigators are a bit of a joke. In one case I know of they used something like MSPaint to place the accused's IP address onto a screen shot and presented that as evidence! Would be funny if the consequences weren't quite so serious.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Erm, the problem happens when the Plod demand your key. IIRC saying you never knew it is not a valid defence.

I understand many people have pleaded guilty even when they haven't, because the prosecution says they have, and it's cheaper than fighting the case.

And in some other style cases they've pleaded guilty when the prosecution hasn't even got any evidence! Their name just happens to be on a proven dodgy list from America. This to save the threatened embarrassment of fighting it in court.
    Permie chap nearby downloads a lot music (no movies). He got a letter accusing him of persistently download Disney movies and tells him to stop. Are they guessing what he downloads or is the detection software crap?

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Erm, the problem happens when the Plod demand your key. IIRC saying you never knew it is not a valid defence.

I understand many people have pleaded guilty even when they haven't, because the prosecution says they have, and it's cheaper than fighting the case.

And in some other style cases they've pleaded guilty when the prosecution hasn't even got any evidence! Their name just happens to be on a proven dodgy list from America. This to save the threatened embarrassment of fighting it in court.
    Do people not know how widespread this is? Its not like IR35, its like trying to stop people drinking alcohol.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl View Post
    Yeah but as Threaded says the key changes regularly and you never get to know it.
    Sorted!

Originally posted by Diestl
    I think we are safe. I predict no one will ever be jailed for downloading the odd movie/game/book/album.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    This has not just been about serial downloaders etc It has always been the long term goal of this most authoritative government of either taxing, licencing and thereby controlling what is being allowed on the internet.
    Um, the Beeb wants DRM, and it definitely has its sights on a fee for applying the licence fee to internet only access - iPlayer Doesn't Require A TV Licence... Yet.

BBC Trust moots new licence laws to cope with net
    iPlayer chief pushes tiered charging for ISPs

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I don't know if they would, but they certainly can lock you up easily under that very wrong encryption law.
    Yeah but as Threaded says the key changes regularly and you never get to know it.
    Sorted!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    So they would go to all this trouble because I downloaded a few episodes of West Wing!?
    I don't know if they would, but they certainly can lock you up easily under that very wrong encryption law.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied

The point is that the milkman who maybe boinking your wife whilst you are busy contracting can drop in encrypted with random password file named "ChldPron.dat", then drop a tip to police and they might be tempted to do you with that law that easily allows them to.

Or they can threaten you with it and make you do other stuff.

So they would go to all this trouble because I downloaded a few episodes of West Wing!?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I think we are safe. I predict no one will ever be jailed for downloading the odd movie/game/book/album.

The point is that the milkman who maybe boinking your wife whilst you are busy contracting can drop in encrypted with random password file named "ChldPron.dat", then drop a tip to police and they might be tempted to do you with that law that easily allows them to.

Or they can threaten you with it and make you do other stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    The point is, if you use a computer, they can have you in jail if they want.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    60 people!!!! More have won the lottery you twonk.
    The point is, if you use a computer, they can have you in jail if they want.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Apparently they quietly done around 60 people under that law.
    60 people!!!! More have won the lottery you twonk.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Hmm how much is it to join the Labour party?
    Maybe a wise investment if it means you don't get investigated for IR35 etc...
    Well, that's, a brown envelope or two, is what they should have done instead of going for a judicial review.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Well, that's the joy of voting in a government who wants to make criminals of everyone who's not a member of the party.
    Hmm how much is it to join the Labour party?
    Maybe a wise investment if it means you don't get investigated for IR35 etc...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Yeah I can see them enforcing that.
    Apparently they quietly done around 60 people under that law.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X