• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Councils get ‘Al Capone’ power to seize assets over minor offences"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Since this lot were endorsed by labour voters, can we not round them up and chop off their hands, to prevent them voting again ?

When are the labour voters going to own up and accept responsibility for the last 12 years living nightmare ?
    There’s too many of them. 2½ million unemployed. 12 million public sector workers. 10 million emigrants.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Since this lot were endorsed by labour voters, can we not round them up and chop off their hands, to prevent them voting again ?

When are the labour voters going to own up and accept responsibility for the last 12 years living nightmare ?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Particularly for anyone in the planning dept.
    Seconded.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    council guy was being an arse, and the acceptable response to that is summary execution?
    Sound totally reasonable and proportionate to me.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Talk about bizarre extrapolation. Didn't say anything like that. When someone starts waving a gun about the normal response is to duck. Only an utter twit, who incidentally knew they were armed to the teeth, would then goad them. Come on, Darwin Award contenders generally are funny.
    Generally yes. Watching people get (really) murdered on telly isn't funny in my book, but fair play to you.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    So the council guy was being an arse, and the acceptable response to that is summary execution? Are you mental or just trolling? You find the murder of a bloke (however arsey) and the attempted murder of the accompanying copper and a reporter funny - that's sick.

The guy (who wasn't a farmer) had bought some land even though he knew (or ought to have known) that he couldn't legally build anything on it. He asked the council if he could build on it and they said no, so he built on it anyway. After numerous warnings he was told to take it down, so he shot the council official and a copper and a reporter - and you think that's funny?

So the next time you get done for speeding are you planning to gun down the copper and have a laugh?
    Talk about bizarre extrapolation. Didn't say anything like that. When someone starts waving a gun about the normal response is to duck. Only an utter twit, who incidentally knew they were armed to the teeth, would then goad them. Come on, Darwin Award contenders generally are funny.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Yadda yadda, the fact is the council official was being a smart arse. He especially invited the press to come along to make a media spectacle and humiliate the guy.

Those who've seen the video will agree that my version is accurate.
    So the council guy was being an arse, and the acceptable response to that is summary execution? Are you mental or just trolling? You find the murder of a bloke (however arsey) and the attempted murder of the accompanying copper and a reporter funny - that's sick.

The guy (who wasn't a farmer) had bought some land even though he knew (or ought to have known) that he couldn't legally build anything on it. He asked the council if he could build on it and they said no, so he built on it anyway. After numerous warnings he was told to take it down, so he shot the council official and a copper and a reporter - and you think that's funny?

So the next time you get done for speeding are you planning to gun down the copper and have a laugh?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Yadda yadda, the fact is the council official was being a smart arse. He especially invited the press to come along to make a media spectacle and humiliate the guy.

Those who've seen the video will agree that my version is accurate.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    The article does not say that. It merely states:

They could have been injured by the rush of everyone to get away, for all we can tell from that sentence. You don't need to be a journalist to know that if 3 people had been shot, the article would have explicitly said so.
    I never siad the article did say that, however you are wrong, he did shoot the copper and the reporter and he is still inside for murder and attempted murder.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    You omitted to mention that he also shot a Policeman and a news reporter.
    The article does not say that. It merely states:

Harry Collinson had been shot dead as the cameras rolled and a policeman and television reporter were also injured.
    They could have been injured by the rush of everyone to get away, for all we can tell from that sentence. You don't need to be a journalist to know that if 3 people had been shot, the article would have explicitly said so.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    Fantastic standards of journalism. Are they allowed to print nonsense like this?
    Not only that but according to the article Sergeant Blackie had been called off a course in Coxhoe and had to get to Consett. I don't know how far that is, but am pretty certain the gun would not have been smoking by the time he got there.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    How have I misrepresented it? That's what happened. I watched it on the TV news.
    Well, the bloke wasn't a farmer, nor was he some kind of latter day folk hero standing up against council "oppression". You omitted to mention that he also shot a Policeman and a news reporter. In fact you could argue that it's because of twunts like him that the councils get too much power

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    How have I misrepresented it? That's what happened. I watched it on the TV news.
    A wild-eyed Albert Dryden was hiding in his caravan, with a smoking gun in his lap.
    Fantastic standards of journalism. Are they allowed to print nonsense like this?

Leave a comment:

• bekarovka
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    There was this...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...cil#post944694

Next it will be the council cutting down my tree, charging £10,000 and freezing my bank account to pay for it.

I this was France; we would riot. In little old UK, we think it's OK because it won't happen to us.
    My goodness. Reading that post about the poor chap and his trees all I can say is thank God I live in Budleigh Salterton.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    If this is the case you're talking about, you are seriously misrepresenting it.

Note: I mention this only in the interests of truth. I am not in favour of draconian powers for councils.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X