• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Regional accents

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Regional accents"

Collapse

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by bekarovka View Post
    No, but my grandparents had Ukrainian accents! I pretty much speak Home Counties BBC.
    hmm BBC - Moyles, Nicky Cambell, Jim Naughty those two off the One Show...

Leave a comment:

• bekarovka
    replied
    Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
    You have a Polish accent, don't you?
    No, but my grandparents had Ukrainian accents! I pretty much speak Home Counties BBC.

Leave a comment:

• Amiga500
    replied
    Oh, I got it now, he wrote a book on how to give up smoking
    You have a Polish accent, don't you?

Leave a comment:

• bekarovka
    replied
    Oh, I got it now, he wrote a book on how to give up smoking

Leave a comment:

• Amiga500
    replied
    Whichone is Alan Carr? The camp one or the one with black hair?
    The black one with the camp hair?

Leave a comment:

• bekarovka
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    I don't know quite why, but when I hear that girl speak it makes me think of Alan Carr.

Whichone is Alan Carr? The camp one or the one with black hair?

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruse View Post
    Strange that I have never had any problems with any N. Irish accents. Perhaps the most diificult Irish accent to decipher for me is a proper rural Kerry accent.
    I think in NI it's not just the accent, it is all the slang and local references, which they tend to drop once the leave NI.

Leave a comment:

• TinTrump
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    There are many variations on "geordie" up here...it's just that you soft southern shi tes don't notice the subtle differences.
    I said Geordie because it was in Newcastle where I did my best man bit. I had a mate from Sunderland and there was a noticeable difference with his macam(sp?) accent.

When people talk about the Brummie accent its often really the Black Country accent they imitate; the later is stronger.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I can imagine sasguru speaking like this
    I don't know quite why, but when I hear that girl speak it makes me think of Alan Carr.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Everybody has a regional accent, unless they are adhering to a fabricated way of speaking which was nothing more than an invention. The Queen's English a special dialect which had to be spoken in front of Elizabeth I.

Leave a comment:

• bekarovka
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post

Cheryl Cole "speaks" geordie like Ant and Dec, but the Sunderland or Durham twang is much less harsh.
    weird, I heard her talk for the first time the other night and I thought she was Welsh!

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    I spent 6 years at Uni in Derry, I still have problems with NI accent.
    My OH is from there - I have no probs understanding her (the words at least, not the logic) and all of her family and friends. Whilst I don't like to deal in Stereotypes, everyone I've met in NI has been more articulate and erudite than your average Southern(England)er.

Leave a comment:

• Ruse
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Strange that I have never had any problems with any N. Irish accents. Perhaps the most diificult Irish accent to decipher for me is a proper rural Kerry accent.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    When I first left uni I went for a series of job interviews at Schroeders (sp!) After interviews covering 3 seperate days I was told that I wasn't getting the job - In their words, I was technically the best person for the job but my accent wasn't right. Surely that could have been determined on day 1.
    Yep, back in early career days I remember feeling that the wrong accent could be career limiting.

I caught a glimpse of it on the recent Prescott North-South Divide programme with Brian Sewell wondering how anyone with a regional accent could cope with reading and writing. He also thought that much of the industrial North should be razed.

To put it politely, I thought he was completely out of touch with reality.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X