• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oldies get left behind by new technology"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I realised the irony as I was typing - but I've never claimed to be consistent or tried to pretend I'm not a hypocrite.
    We know - you are a Nu Liebour supporter after all

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    What about CUK?
    I realised the irony as I was typing - but I've never claimed to be consistent or tried to pretend I'm not a hypocrite.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    What about CUK?
    It's a fair cop

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    My mum got her first computer a couple of years ago and loves it. She's keen to learn so I encourage her by telling her about all the great things she can do that make her life easier. She's improving fast.

My dad is next. He's just bought a laptop

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    As for Facebook and Twitter - they seem to be for the self-obsessed wannabe celebs to me.
    What about CUK?

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    As for Facebook and Twitter - they seem to be for the self-obsessed wannabe celebs to me. I have a Facebook account because a former mate of mine was super evangelistic about it and still insists it's the most marvelous thing ever. He posted recently that he was constructing a bathroom cabinet and would issue hourly updates on Twitter (and he was serious) FFS!

More disturbingly, one of my two other friends on facebook is always posting about what she and her two young daughters are up to - including recently announcing she's off to New York. I, in common with many people who know her know where she lives - I hope she's sure she can trust all these people and anyone/everyone they know too.

I still haven't worked out what Facebook is actually for.

I love technology that has either beauty utility or both - Facebook has neither.

Leave a comment:

• Amiga500
    replied
    Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
    We hope that one day he will become interested in woman

We hope that one day he will become a woman.

Leave a comment:

• Qdos Contractor
    replied
    My dad is 68 and totally blind, but completely up to date with technology. He was a programmer with the gas board in the 70s though, so has a background in computers.

My mum (63) finds technology of any sort utterly confusing. She's been using computers for about 10 years now and I still have to write step by step lists with drawings of the space bar and such like.

Leave a comment:

• the_rangdo
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Games. Nor me although 3D Monster Maze on the ZX81 was brill.
    Whenever I mention that game everyone looks at me like I'm an alien (or senile)

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    No people who play computer games are boring. My nephew is 26 plays
    games all day and the only job he had was at a call centre.
    We hope that one day he will become interested in woman

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Games. Nor me although 3D Monster Maze on the ZX81 was brill.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    The really old sorts I know are quite handy with this stuff. Apart from the inlaws but that's due to too much inbreeding. Northamptonshire is the British Catskills, most people up there are their own grandchildren.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    My dad is on facebook. He's 67

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    What about social networking, e.g. facebook and twitter? Is this a generational thing taking off? I must admit this passed me by. Also I don't spend all day texting.
    You are either a facebook, twitter person or you are not.This has nothing to do with age. If my Dad was still alive I am sure he would be a facebook fanatic.

Leave a comment:

• Amiga500
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost

Nor me. Never been much interested in games & such like.
    You old bore.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X