• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Apple mac snob type people........."

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    I wouldn't mind a an Apple but the prices put me off plus certain aspects of them I don't really such as not being able to replace batteries in iPods, Airbooks, etc. Ever since my mum bought home a Macintosh 128K back in '84 I've had a small (very small) soft spot for me, just don't like fanbois

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
    Bet he knows how to bleed a radiator!
    is there an app on the iphone for that?

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    Bet he knows how to bleed a radiator!

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Well, at least he won't be troubling you for info on how to do the smallest of tasks, or what software to use to organise his music & photos, or how to edit a movie etc. etc. etc.
    i know, i know

He barely knows how to send an e-mail from his i-phone

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Well, at least he won't be troubling you for info on how to do the smallest of tasks, or what software to use to organise his music & photos, or how to edit a movie etc. etc. etc.
    I forgot one of the by products of Mac ownership.

When a neighbour/friend/relative asks you to help solve a PC problem you can feign ignorance and say you know nothing about PCs.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    A friend of mine recently bought a mac because it looked nice and he liked the ads on tv

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Why is that a bad thing?

My uncle is about to replace an ageing PC with a new one. I'm trying to get him to get a mac so I don't have to spend so much time on the phone to him trying to decipher what has gone wrong this time...
    A friend of mine recently bought a mac because it looked nice and he liked the ads on tv

Leave a comment:

• tenpin
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    The arrival of Unix was the turning point for me. OS X gave me a way to learn Unix and get to grips with the Free/Open Source world at my own pace.

Then there's the OS releases. Even the minor version updates improved system performance. I upgraded my iBook all the way from 10.1 to 10.4.11 and didn't feel the need to upgrade the hardware until web sites got Javascript intensive.
    Anyone here used to use NeXTSTEP? Then OpenStep on PCs? I used to work on that, and when Apple bought NeXT and released Rhapsody (then OSX 10), transition was easy for me...said he typing on a crappy PC

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Apple's marketing has suckered in quite a lot of technophobes,
    Why is that a bad thing?

My uncle is about to replace an ageing PC with a new one. I'm trying to get him to get a mac so I don't have to spend so much time on the phone to him trying to decipher what has gone wrong this time...

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
    It was the use of Unix that made a real difference for people like me who prefer to work in the Java, C, C++ world. I was immediately able to ditch my Linux environments which, at the time, had absolutely nothing that came anywhere close to the Mac's user interface.
    The arrival of Unix was the turning point for me. OS X gave me a way to learn Unix and get to grips with the Free/Open Source world at my own pace.

Then there's the OS releases. Even the minor version updates improved system performance. I upgraded my iBook all the way from 10.1 to 10.4.11 and didn't feel the need to upgrade the hardware until web sites got Javascript intensive.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    My beef is more with the people who blindly buy every mac gadget going because it looks nice and who blatantly haven't a clue about tecchy stuff.

Apple's marketing has suckered in quite a lot of technophobes, it goes to show you that if you make stuff look pretty and get a good marketing team, then yer quids in!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    you clearly don't get it!

What he is implying is that Apple fans hate Microsoft and put $ signs for the S in the name, as they hate the corporate machine that is MS and the money Gates has made.

But in reality, they (Apple fans) are doing the exact same by extolling the virtues of Apple and lining Jobs' pockets.
    You are right that I don't get it. Apple fans may have been like that before OS X came along, but it's changed. An Apple dealer has just opened a new shop near me and it's business suits all the way.

Which is a shame when I remember the first Apple dealer I used. It had some very classy female assistants, and they knew their stuff too...

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Whilst I've got the attention of all you IT folks....

Is there anything reliable I can install on XP that will give me Hot Corners and Expose like functionality?
    RocketDock is a really nice bit of Mac functionality you can install on XP.
    Been using it for years as an alternative to the quick launch tool bar

www.rocketdock.com

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    Referring to the Unix aspect of Mac OS is usually my first line of defence if one of said Mac snobs tries to engage in a debate about whey their's is so much better..
    I'm gay, know nothing about computers and now, I don't know what Unix is!

I use Macs, Windows, Unix and Linux boxes all the time and simply put, if I want to just get day-to-day jobs done, time after time, then the Mac, its operating system and software is the machine for me. Has been since the day I started using them some 15 years ago. I installed Windows 7 on my Mac the other day and I finished up saying what I always have said when I install Windows on a home machine, "What now?"

It was the use of Unix that made a real difference for people like me who prefer to work in the Java, C, C++ world. I was immediately able to ditch my Linux environments which, at the time, had absolutely nothing that came anywhere close to the Mac's user interface.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think Macs are perfect. For example, I just can't stand the fonts and font sizes used on the interface and I still have problems with the finder. Windows looks so much better in certain areas.

I did however notice an article the other day. Something about the 10 new Windows 7 features. I got to the end of the list and wondered if I need to feel sorry for certain people.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by singhr View Post

FFS DP - whats wrong with being gay?
    Nothing, as long as you don't own a Mac too. That's just camping it up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X