• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Jimmy Carr gets off phone while driving charge"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Yeah, get it wrong or get it right.

You can't get it wrong or right. Some people would use a. Depends on your accent really. Posh people would tend not to use an. On the other hand if you are Parker from the Thunderbirds.

http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexper...tgrammar/hotel
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 18 October 2009, 19:26.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    A hotel or an hotel is a matter of preference
    Yeah, get it wrong or get it right.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Lol, AtW teaching us English now as well as Ecomonics and morality.
    Don't you just love the t'InterWeb F***-Up Fairy?

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    http://www.english-zone.com/grammar/a-anlessn.html

"Use AN if the next word begins with a vowel SOUND.
    This is a sound rule, NOT a spelling rule."

E-mmm. Fish-mitten.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Lol, AtW teaching us English now as well as Ecomonics and morality.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Even an American spelling and grammar site got it right. Although I'd be somewhat wary of taking grammar advice from a site that has an "Ez bookshop" whatever one of those it.

Also, that page is wrong, since it says that it should be "a hotel" rather than "an hotel".
    A hotel or an hotel is a matter of preference

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied

Even an American spelling and grammar site got it right. Although I'd be somewhat wary of taking grammar advice from a site that has an "Ez bookshop" whatever one of those it.

Also, that page is wrong, since it says that it should be "a hotel" rather than "an hotel".

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    It's pronounced like that everywhere. And rule wise, as it's an abbreviation and pronounced M.O.T. it should be written with an an.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Maybe it is pronounced like that in some circles, the rule-wise it should be written with an a...

We need a :fail smiley.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Maybe it is pronounced like that in some circles, the rule-wise it should be written with an a...

It's pronounced like that everywhere. And rule wise, as it's an abbreviation and pronounced M.O.T. it should be written with an an.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Actually, since it's pronounced Emm Oh Tee, you would use "an".

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied

push-cart

a
    Actually, since it's pronounced Emm Oh Tee, you would use "an".

HTH

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I've got a car, but haven't been using it much lately. It's due an MOT next week

push-cart

a

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Get a car
    I've got a car, but haven't been using it much lately. It's due an MOT next week

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Yeah, on average, although I've almost come a cropper when they've wandered into the road in front of me on my bike. You're then faced with a millisecond decision on whether to swerve into the road and risked being squished yourself, or plough into them. They can often be seen wandering along in the gutter in town centres too, oblivious to traffic.
    Get a car

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Pedestrians pay higher price in case of accident...
    Yeah, on average, although I've almost come a cropper when they've wandered into the road in front of me on my bike. You're then faced with a millisecond decision on whether to swerve into the road and risked being squished yourself, or plough into them. They can often be seen wandering along in the gutter in town centres too, oblivious to traffic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X