• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Overtime rate

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Overtime rate"

Collapse

• Scary
    replied
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem <-- could be a nice little retirement earner.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Originally posted by Scary View Post

Leave a comment:

• Scary
    replied
    Originally posted by singhr View Post
    Last couple of contracts have wormed 'same rate no matter what day' clauses into contract which I had to concede on. I'd like to see them ask me to work a weekend though - they'll have to whistle. Best multiplier ever was 3X though back in golden days of Y2K, can't wait for the next milenium to come around....

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    Last couple of contracts have wormed 'same rate no matter what day' clauses into contract which I had to concede on. I'd like to see them ask me to work a weekend though - they'll have to whistle. Best multiplier ever was 3X though back in golden days of Y2K, can't wait for the next milenium to come around....

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    I don't have any overtime clauses in my contract and due to the current state of the project I am working on will require some evenings and weekend work. With my contract up for re-newal I am going to ask for an overtime clause to be added, along lines of 1.5 x weekevening and 2 x weekend.

What sort of argument, if any, would the agent put up to not include this, or would they see this as standard ? Or are the hours worked the hours expected to work being a contractor ?

NOTE - THIS HAS BEEN POSTED TO BUSINESS/CONTRACTS SECTION AS MORE RELEVANT THERE
    Last edited by kaiser78; 2 November 2009, 13:49.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Last client generously offered to pay 1.0 x normal rate for overtime.

One before that offered the opportunity to work weekends in exchange for a day off in the week, subject to their approval, must be taken before the end of the month or you lose it. Call my a cynic, but wouldn't it be really easy to deny approval and not give you the day off? (And yes, they tried it!)

Leave a comment:

• tenpin
    replied
    Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
    Most of my overtime comes from other people not doing their jobs properly.
    Same here - current contract pays time on a Saturday and time and a half on Sundays. The place is full on Sundays...

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    If I have to stay late I will just leave early another day. Means less ******* about with tulip.

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
    Yep... And the post project Indian meal
    You mean you only buy the indian developers a meal, once they have finished the project. I knew their salaries were low, but thats rediculous!!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Written into my contract - time and half Saturdays, double time for Sundays and public holidays. I think in 4 years, I've done two Saturdays at 1.5. I did do one Saturday for normal rates, but it was my choice to work that day - the client didn't ask me to.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I'm a PM and my project goes live over a weekend so I need to do the overtime. I'll go for double time and see how the land lies.
    youse PM's are as bad as them MP's I've reading about in the Mail

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    Yep... And the post project Indian meal

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    I'm a PM and my project goes live over a weekend so I need to do the overtime. I'll go for double time and see how the land lies.
    You do realise that PM's are responsible for all pizza purchases required during weekend work?

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
    Most of my overtime comes from other people not doing their jobs properly.
    Ditto. I also encourage it... Home baked architectures: loadsa money!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X