• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Friday afternoon advise"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    with all the work they have done on the line since then, you'd think it would have improved....

Leave a comment:

• the_rangdo
    replied
    Menelaus has an empty pad you can crash in!
    I'll bear that in mind, thanks

she managed it for about 3 months before she was ready to tear her hair out
    That won't take me long then

I suppose the worst I could do is try it for a month or so. My wife's got MS so she's fretting about me being away through the week so I need to weigh up the options.

The easy option would be stick in the permie role I'm in now, but I can't take it any more

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    I haven't but I know someone who did - she managed it for about 3 months before she was ready to tear her hair out - mind you that was a few years ago and with all the work they have done on the line since then, you'd think it would have improved....
    The Virgin train is quite good and you don't have to be a virgin to use it!

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
    Well I've spoke to the agent and I'm making the trip down on Thursday, costing me many Drogna.

So while I'm mulling stuff over I'm now thinking about logistics given all my contracts have been pretty local to where I live.

Has anyone ever done something like a Manchester-London commute? Sounds mad but I'm thinking if I stay in a hotel on my tod I'm going to end up bored and spending money

2 hours on a train would be good time to read, or listen to muzak, or sleep. Monthly season ticket works out at £49/working day.

Anyone done it?
    I haven't but I know someone who did - she managed it for about 3 months before she was ready to tear her hair out - mind you that was a few years ago and with all the work they have done on the line since then, you'd think it would have improved....

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post

advice

FFS
    Northern monkey.

Hth.

Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
    Well I've spoke to the agent and I'm making the trip down on Thursday, costing me many Drogna.

So while I'm mulling stuff over I'm now thinking about logistics given all my contracts have been pretty local to where I live.

Has anyone ever done something like a Manchester-London commute? Sounds mad but I'm thinking if I stay in a hotel on my tod I'm going to end up bored and spending money

2 hours on a train would be good time to read, or listen to muzak, or sleep. Monthly season ticket works out at £49/working day.

Anyone done it?
    Menelaus has an empty pad you can crash in!

Leave a comment:

• the_rangdo
    replied

Anyone done it?

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Good Luck !

(And thanks for reminding me of "The Adventure Game". I loved that show. Doogy Rev!")
    Oh Cheers BGG - I was trying to remember the name of the program, you saved me a google

Leave a comment:

• the_rangdo
    replied
    (And thanks for reminding me of "The Adventure Game". I loved that show. Doogy Rev!")

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Good Luck !

Leave a comment:

• the_rangdo
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Good luck in whatever you decide.
    Cheers.

On the upside it does appear as though the market is picking up, just based on the number of roles and phone activity over the past few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    You know, sometimes it's best to just toss a coin. Then, if it turns out to be a bad move , you can blame the coinage. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Leave a comment:

• the_rangdo
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    You say you have already been put forward by another pimp so did you get a job spec from them?
    I've been put forward for a specific role by another pimp, no way of knowing at this stage if it's the same thing or not.

In the other case there's a role spec, job ID #, etc which is why this one sticks out as being a bit fishy. All other roles I've seen for the same client have had the same level of detail.

I'm going to let the pimp sweat over the weekend, he said he'll call me Monday to discuss so I'll let him do that.
    Last edited by the_rangdo; 9 October 2009, 19:03. Reason: Spelling ;)

Leave a comment:

• the_rangdo
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    WHS

FFS
    I know I know, just spotted it myself DOH!

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied

advice

FFS
    WHS

FFS

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Think about this on the flip side. Your a company wanting a resource thats going to turn up on time and do the work. You don't give a flying ***k where they live or home arrangements. Thats not your problem, you pay top dollar (well it seems like it to a permie) for the right person to turn up to interview and turn up to work first day. End of. If he can't be arsed to come for and interview then sod him. There must be plenty of people between there and Rochdale that are willing to so lets see them instead.

You could get a telephone interview but your pitted up against the guys that turned up. It is human nature to favour a face to face candidate than a phone one that are of similar skill/personality etc.

By pushing for interview on your terms further sours the client.

You have two options, show some dedication to getting a role and go so your in the running. Push for telephone interview at which case you have virtually run yourself out of the race.

To be honest with you your on a hiding to no where with the latter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X