• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Public sector unions"

Collapse

• mrdonuts
    replied
    they dont mention that as well as the non performance related pay rise of say 2.5% they are also getting a nice little increase every year as they move up the payscale

not linked to them doing anything at all

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    I think teaching is one of the public sector professions that I dont have a gripe with, along with the police, hospital staffe etc. Its the useless beurocratic pointless organisations that I have had dealings with that really get my goat. The ones where they serve some purpose but could be done with a handful of staff instead of the several hundred that do nothing all day, raking in an absolute fortune, letting projects overrun and go massively over budget becasue fundamentally there is no P+L at all. You need more money, just pull more from tax revenues.
    Guy I know worked for the "Office of the Deputy Prime Minister". When Prescott left, they all kept their jobs (doing **** all) but just changed the name of the department - **** knows what it's called now...

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    I think teaching is one of the public sector professions that I dont have a gripe with, along with the police, hospital staffe etc. Its the useless beurocratic pointless organisations that I have had dealings with that really get my goat. The ones where they serve some purpose but could be done with a handful of staff instead of the several hundred that do nothing all day, raking in an absolute fortune, letting projects overrun and go massively over budget becasue fundamentally there is no P+L at all. You need more money, just pull more from tax revenues.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    My mum was a teacher, then became a university lecturer and then retired, still on the old 80% final salary scheme, while on the salary of a university dean. She also has a state pension and her own private pension. She now spends her mornings gardening and her afternoons drinking chardonnay and earns nearly twice as much as she did when she was working. Can't be bad.
    My wife is a teacher. She's not going to get a pension as somebody will undoubtedly nick it off her in the next 25 years. Can't be good.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    My mum was a teacher, then became a university lecturer and then retired, still on the old 80% final salary scheme, while on the salary of a university dean. She also has a state pension and her own private pension. She now spends her mornings gardening and her afternoons drinking chardonnay and earns nearly twice as much as she did when she was working. Can't be bad.

Leave a comment:

• bekarovka
    replied
    Listen people, this was never a rant against teachers per se, I appreciate that it's often a lowly paid, stressful job. It was more about the union rep who wanted to absolve all her members from shouldering any of the pain of this recession for the reasons I mentioned in the op. Don't see why they should be immune, that's all.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Well, I left for Holland 15 years ago and I was forgetting it until I went to Liverpool last year.
    Indeed.

The UK is a complete social disaster, and it's just getting worse.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Could you imagine the feral wasteland we'd live in if they didn't exist?
    Well, I left for Holland 15 years ago and I was forgetting it until I went to Liverpool last year.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    I don't think you have to imagine it in some parts of the country.
    I don't know why, but Croydon springs to mind...

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Don't extrapolate the vagaries of contracting to permanent employment. It doesn't work.

And are you seriously suggesting that every teacher in the land is non-productive? Could you imagine the feral wasteland we'd live in if they didn't exist?
    I don't think you have to imagine it in some parts of the country.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I've gone from £30 to £12.50ph with none of the benefits of perm employment let alone the gold plated nonsense the public sector gets.

In answer to your question yes, tell me why you think a non productive public sector employee should get a rise when the productive private sector is taking massive and painful cuts?
    Don't extrapolate the vagaries of contracting to permanent employment. It doesn't work.

And are you seriously suggesting that every teacher in the land is non-productive? Could you imagine the feral wasteland we'd live in if they didn't exist?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    I think I'd rather sweep the streets than stand up in a classroom.
    What is NMW as a salary?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Scary View Post
    I wouldn't stand in a classroom in front of 35 screaming little tulips for 7 hours a day, 9 months a year (plus all the prep and marking and other paperwork) for 21k.
    WHS

A friend of mine, retired from an investment bank, has just completed his teacher training and has had to work as a supply teacher to get up his teaching hours.

He told me that nothing could prepare him for the utter awfulness, and sheer bloody-mindedness of the kids (he teaches in Bristol - not that it makes any difference I suppose).

Teaching is hard work. You need to prepare 'Lesson Plans' for each and every teaching session. You need to control and manage the class. You need to prove that you have actually inculcated the bloody little sods with the information.

Teaching is not an easy option.

I think I'd rather sweep the streets than stand up in a classroom.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Scary View Post
    At 21k?
    I've gone from £30 to £12.50ph with none of the benefits of perm employment let alone the gold plated nonsense the public sector gets.

In answer to your question yes, tell me why you think a non productive public sector employee should get a rise when the productive private sector is taking massive and painful cuts?

Leave a comment:

• PorkPie
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    Morals?
    There`s a part of me that thinks someome shouldn`t be working as a baggage handler/postal service employee (and many other positions) if they want to disrupt that imporant service for their own selfish gain. And unions encouraging it.......

Do you think the public really gives a toss about their pay, no, we just get mad over these fools disrupting our services.

If someone wants more money, find a better job. SImples. If theyre not happy with the pay increase, make the point by leaving for something better and give someone else the opportunity who might actually do the job for less.

Given that I`ve had to file constant complaints locally about my mail being put through other peoples boxes and vice versa, these people deserve to be paid peanuts.
    Sounds like there's at least one pro-immigration poster on this board then

Leave a comment:

Working...
X