• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector unions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Compared to the overall income that a lot of us in the private sector are experiencing, theirs is a drop in the ocean.
    Really? I've brought in about 10k so far this year. Had no idea teachers were paid that badly.

Comment

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6000186

Looks like about 21-30k/year outside London.

Comment

Originally posted by bekarovka View Post
        Really? I've brought in about 10k so far this year. Had no idea teachers were paid that badly.
        If your daily rate is so poor that you can only bring in 10k over the course of the year, then you might need to consider changing occupation, market sector, demands, etc.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'd be happy with a pay freeze for 12 months, my income has been in freefall for the past 2 years. How many public sector workers would take a 50% pay cut followed by no income at all for 3 months?

I can't see the Tories following through on a 25% cull across the MoD, not when they realise how much it will cost to get rid of the lazy feckers.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

The difference is that no-one agreed your pay rise over the next three years, which the government did with teachers, who are already underpaid for the work that they do and the crap that they have to deal with.
            Ahem. How about agreeing a pay cut on the grounds that your new contract is "for a year", only to find that:
            1. It's only for three months
            2. If you get an extension after those three months, there's a further pay cut

Even the premies felt sorry for us on that one.

Sorry, times are tough for us all. Why should the public sector get special treatment?
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I may be missing something, but isn't that the point of striking? It makes people more aware of the issues, hoping that this in turn will put pressure on the employers to settle. There is no point in striking if nobody notices, is there?
              Morals?
              There`s a part of me that thinks someome shouldn`t be working as a baggage handler/postal service employee (and many other positions) if they want to disrupt that imporant service for their own selfish gain. And unions encouraging it.......

Do you think the public really gives a toss about their pay, no, we just get mad over these fools disrupting our services.

If someone wants more money, find a better job. SImples. If theyre not happy with the pay increase, make the point by leaving for something better and give someone else the opportunity who might actually do the job for less.

Given that I`ve had to file constant complaints locally about my mail being put through other peoples boxes and vice versa, these people deserve to be paid peanuts.

As for the Civvie Service, I know quite a few civil servant who complain about the money (when all things considered it isn`t bad at all- pretty good in fact), yet they would never leave the service. WHy would the government pay them more, knowing they won`t leave if they don`t?
              Last edited by SuperZ; 9 October 2009, 14:33.

Comment

Originally posted by bekarovka View Post
                You should be a permie if you don't accept the risks of contracting.

NQT will pull in about £20-25k a year. For a minimum 1800 hours work.

How many hours was your £10k?
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  I'd be happy with a pay freeze for 12 months
                  At 21k?

Comment

I wouldn't stand in a classroom in front of 35 screaming little tulips for 7 hours a day, 9 months a year (plus all the prep and marking and other paperwork) for 21k.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
                      Morals?
                      There`s a part of me that thinks someome shouldn`t be working as a baggage handler/postal service employee (and many other positions) if they want to disrupt that imporant service for their own selfish gain. And unions encouraging it.......

Do you think the public really gives a toss about their pay, no, we just get mad over these fools disrupting our services.

If someone wants more money, find a better job. SImples. If theyre not happy with the pay increase, make the point by leaving for something better and give someone else the opportunity who might actually do the job for less.

Given that I`ve had to file constant complaints locally about my mail being put through other peoples boxes and vice versa, these people deserve to be paid peanuts.
                      Sounds like there's at least one pro-immigration poster on this board then
                      We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
                      - Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
                      X