• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "T-5 minutes until Nasa crash a Ford Transit into the moon..."

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Who cares.
    I do.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    They switched to IR when I was watching the live feed. Maybe something will turn up there.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Who cares.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Well it said there wasn't the plume of matter they were expecting so nothing for the following craft to fly through and gather so don't sound too promising.
    The plume wasn't visible from earth; that doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Well it said there wasn't the plume of matter they were expecting so nothing for the following craft to fly through and gather so don't sound too promising.
    The second craft didn't have to fly through the plume, merely observe it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Has this mission failed then?

I thought it had worked OK.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Never let a woman drive a spacecraft ...
    Last words on space shuttle Columbia - "Here Laurel, you dri..."

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Anyone remember how the moon got knocked out of orbit in Space 1999?
    Wasn't it a nuclear war on Earth?

Edit: no it wasn't:

In the pilot, nuclear waste from Earth stored on the moon explodes in a catastrophic accident on 13 September 1999, knocking the moon out of its orbit and sending it and the 311 inhabitants of Moonbase Alpha hurtling uncontrollably into outer space.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Anyone remember how the moon got knocked out of orbit in Space 1999?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    They went for a shadowed crater as it would not have seen sunlight for a few billion years, therefore increasing the chance of finding frozen water.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Your baiting me to make a woman joke arn't you!! lol..

Anyway, for fear of being incredibly boring and actually bringing this conversation back around to the actual topic. Did anyone see the report on this dismal failure?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8299118.stm

No plume, no results = failure. Why do the mission controllers at the end stand up clapping. Was it hard to smash a probe in to the moon??

Also have a look at where they crash it. The biggest shadowed area on the face of the dam moon. WTF!! Couldn't they have gone a few 100 meters north so they could actually see the crator or what might have gone wrong?

Maybe I am not intellectual enough to understand this level of thinking but this looks like one might cock up to me.
    Has this mission failed then?

I thought it had worked OK.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Also have a look at where they crash it. The biggest shadowed area on the face of the dam moon. WTF!! Couldn't they have gone a few 100 meters north so they could actually see the crator or what might have gone wrong?
    The purpose was to hit a deep, dark crater. There was a chance the top of the plume might have gone high enough to be illuminated by sunlight but it was not guaranteed.

The analysis is of the material detected in the plume by the probe, not a visible analysis.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied

Anyway, for fear of being incredibly boring and actually bringing this conversation back around to the actual topic. Did anyone see the report on this dismal failure?

No plume, no results = failure. Why do the mission controllers at the end stand up clapping. Was it hard to smash a probe in to the moon??

Maybe I am not intellectual enough to understand this level of thinking but this looks like one might cock up to me.
    Never let a woman drive a spacecraft ...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    parked sideways

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Big shiney new Range Rover in it IMO
    parked sideways

Leave a comment:

Working...
X