• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best way to heat a single room?"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I had a mate with no chance of gas who put an LPG (?) tank in his garden so he could have gas central heating. All went well until oil prices shot up and so did his bill. Being on mains gas myself there was no corresponding increase. That was back in the 1990s though.
    We have LPG as we are out in the sticks away from the main supplies.

We have 4 x 47kg bottles ( The big red ones ) down the side of the house. In winter we get through two a month and it costs us about £90 a time. This is for heating and hot water. Otherwise two bottles will last us from April to October.

It cost us about £250 quid + the cost of the first four bottles to get it set up by a decent supplier.

It's not cheap, certainly more expensive than mains. It does cost more than oil but is less obtrusive as you dont need a big tank in the garden to hold it unless you want one and oil boilers tend to be bigger and bulkier that gas and potentially not as efficient. Cost does tend to move with the general price of oil / gas but suppliers have been trying to hold prices down as they is a lot of competition in most areas. We have a choice of 5 suppliers who deliver in our area.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    petrol + desk + match

Works a treat and the room is taosty warm in seconds. It can get a little too warm though

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    My study is freezing today.

I haven't tried bleeding the radiators, though - do you think that would help?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    My study is freezing today.

I haven't tried bleeding the radiators, though - do you think that would help?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Best way to heat a single room?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-immolation

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    *As in "The Gentleman of the Stools".
    It's amazing the rubbish my head contains.

Groom of the Stool

Leave a comment:

• George Parr
    replied
    We had a wood burner fitted last year. The hypnotic effect of the flames is very relaxing but they do have their drawbacks.

If you don't have access to free wood the cost of logs is quite high and has gone up in line with fossil fuels. Around here the logs we have delivered are a waste product from tree surgeons so the quality is variable and they are not always as dry as they should be. During the cold months we can get through a hilux load in a month or so (£85) we use the central heating in the mornings so the house is warm to get up and the wood burner in the evenings

You will need to stack the logs when the merchant dumps them on your drive, (hopefully it won't be raining) have somewhere dry but well ventilated to store the logs and you will need the chimney swept twice a year as creosotes form in the flue. The cost of this alone (about £100) might even pay for enough units of leccy to heat a small room over the winter.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Ah well, if he's heating the whole house with it, including hot water, then it will burn a good deal of wood.
    I had a house with a similar system, except the stove was too small. The previous owner had a wife at home to feed the thing during the day but I didn't. I put gas central heating in and had the stove boiler connected into that, so heat it knocked out contributed. It worked well, but I wish I'd invested in a bigger stove at the same time. I had access to lots of free logs.

My central heating is oil fired (AGA). It's chronic! Just to fill the oil tank costs me £1300.

Being in the remotest sticks, there is no mains gas available.
    I had a mate with no chance of gas who put an LPG (?) tank in his garden so he could have gas central heating. All went well until oil prices shot up and so did his bill. Being on mains gas myself there was no corresponding increase. That was back in the 1990s though.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Generate body heat by having a good long hard shag. Better still, make it a 3 some!
    dont be silly.

I too work in a small ice-box office. My solution -
    post bollux un cuk whilst being pissed at night, read the posts next day whilst shivering and hey presto, a brightly glowing face that radiates more enrgy than a nuclear reactor

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Generate body heat by having a good long hard shag. Better still, make it a 3 some!

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Heating a Home Office

I'd suggest a 30" flat screen monitor.

Games and work are just delightful and you get a lot of heat from it too.

Leave a comment:

• dinker
    replied
    Is there any advantage to a halogen heater over an ordinary resistive heater, they seem to be everywhere?

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Best way to heat a single room?

I hear that horizontal jogging is free

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    That is a frightening amount of dosh. One wonders how much the treasury get from that. Probably the lion's share.
    Damn right. It's frightening me now, as I have to fill up for winter.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Ah well, if he's heating the whole house with it, including hot water, then it will burn a good deal of wood.

My central heating is oil fired (AGA). It's chronic! Just to fill the oil tank costs me £1300.

Being in the remotest sticks, there is no mains gas available.
    That is a frightening amount of dosh. One wonders how much the treasury get from that. Probably the lion's share.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X