• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Linked in, starting to become a very useful job tool ..."

Collapse

• snaw
    replied
    Got 6 job leads on the go at the moment for Singapore, four of them through linked in ...

Very impressed.

Leave a comment:

• XperTest
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    I put my whole CV there, but I think in retrospect a pared down version would have been enough. As long as you get the main points across to enable someone to find you.
    Aye, a paired down version. 1 or 2 lines per customer/project/contract max. You want people to ask for your CV based on your profile.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Those of you who are positive about Linked In and its use, is your profile a direct copy of your current CV or have you customized it specifically for Linked In?

I plan to update my profile this week and my initial thoughts are to have a pared down version of my CV which would provide enough information for potential leads to contact me to request my CV.
    I put my whole CV there, but I think in retrospect a pared down version would have been enough. As long as you get the main points across to enable someone to find you.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Those of you who are positive about Linked In and its use, is your profile a direct copy of your current CV or have you customized it specifically for Linked In?

I plan to update my profile this week and my initial thoughts are to have a pared down version of my CV which would provide enough information for potential leads to contact me to request my CV.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    My most promising piece of potential work for a while was generated by an agent that I had connected to spotting that I was available when I added some more people to my network last week.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    I've started pimping up my profile with a goal to finding summat in The Netherlands.

Getting some interest but just from the regular pimps.

Just finding for what I'm in the groups to get into are few and far between.

Not so sure how popular LinkedIn is in mainland Europe

Leave a comment:

• XperTest
    replied
    I joined it a couple of years ago, and thought nothing much of it.

But in the last year I've had a few job type enquiries through it and recently I changed my status to indicate I was interested in jobs in Singapore and this week I've two job interviews for roles out there. Directly through linked in.

Almost becoming a must have I think these days. And it's worth joining loads of groups, cause a fair few jobs seem to come through that avenue ...

My 2c.
    Agreed. I just started a new contract this past week and the first contact was made through LinkedIn. I think it pays off to invest some time in setting up a good profile and to actively expand your network. I have made it a bit of a habit to ask co-workers I have enjoyed working with on finished projects to write me a recommendation if they are so inclined, and I think this really helps as I now have a couple dozen positive feedback re the services MyCo provides on the internet for hiring managers to read when they prepare for the interview (my LinkedIn profile is the first hit when I type my name in Google). I like it better than just dropping my CV in a jobsite-like database, as I have better control over my profile and it is a widely used professional tool unlike most other internet network communities. I think people underestimate the damage personal pictures of being drunk or dressed up on a Facebook/Myspace profile can do. Nowadays, it is important for contractors to manage their online presence, and LinkedIn is a great help imho.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I seem to be lapsing into my teenage years once more - cider is going down a treat at the minute, either bulmers or magners

No idea about rate though so I'm not counting my chickens just yet..
    You know they don't tax you on dividends over there ...

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Depends, do you like the amber nectar?

I need to find a whole new set of beer buddies!

I seem to be lapsing into my teenage years once more - cider is going down a treat at the minute, either bulmers or magners

No idea about rate though so I'm not counting my chickens just yet..

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Pennsylvania!
    I drive through Pennsylvania every week going from Bath back to the M4

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Goodness just been contacted about a job in Singapore, spec fits to a tea -

Room for one more?
    Depends, do you like the amber nectar?

I need to find a whole new set of beer buddies!

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Its not bad, I only have one agent as a contact but that is a firm I know and respect plus they mainly deal in roles in my area. So far I've only had 2 companies contact me directly, one from a very large Linux company and had a rather long and interesting teleconference with them. The other was no good as it was in Pennsylvania!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Goodness just been contacted about a job in Singapore, spec fits to a tea -

Room for one more?

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    I'll back up Snaw's comments here - my LinkedIn profile is generating calls from companies direct, no agency involvement. Also - the proportion of proper leads from niche agents compared with traditional routes is rising. Had 3 or 4 interviews out of it so far.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by teclo View Post
    I may have found myself an accountant and a "wealth manager" out of it.
    "Wealth managers" aren't exactly hard to find. Once the world finds out you've got a few quid they're falling over each other to give you a hand "looking after it" for you.

I've yet to find LinkedIn usesful but I don't use it actively.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X