• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Linked in, starting to become a very useful job tool ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Other than that, I have lots of requests for free advice from Bob's cousins. .
    I'm quite active on the discussion boards and it never ceases to amaze me how many of Bob's lot advertise themselves as Architects/Gurus and yet have to ask the most basic design questions or "Help, my Web server won't start" type questions,

Comment

I was at a dinner club event last night which I discovered via linkedin. It was a fun night, met some interesting people and I may have found myself an accountant and a "wealth manager" out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
        and recently I changed my status to indicate I was interested in jobs in Singapore and this week I've two job interviews for roles out there. Directly through linked in..
        So how do you change your status for a specific country?
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          So how do you change your status for a specific country?
          I just changed my description to include the word singapore, then updated my status saying I was looking for work in singapore. People then search in linked in and find you - even better if you join loads of groups (I joined about 15 or so IT/Job related groups there) so I'll appear higher up in the searches.

Plus people/agents advertise jobs in groups, so if you join you get alerts etc.

Seems to have worked for me, to the extent I've got two interviews out of it.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by teclo View Post
            I may have found myself an accountant and a "wealth manager" out of it.
            "Wealth managers" aren't exactly hard to find. Once the world finds out you've got a few quid they're falling over each other to give you a hand "looking after it" for you.

I've yet to find LinkedIn usesful but I don't use it actively.

Comment

I'll back up Snaw's comments here - my LinkedIn profile is generating calls from companies direct, no agency involvement. Also - the proportion of proper leads from niche agents compared with traditional routes is rising. Had 3 or 4 interviews out of it so far.

Comment

Goodness just been contacted about a job in Singapore, spec fits to a tea -

Room for one more?
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Its not bad, I only have one agent as a contact but that is a firm I know and respect plus they mainly deal in roles in my area. So far I've only had 2 companies contact me directly, one from a very large Linux company and had a rather long and interesting teleconference with them. The other was no good as it was in Pennsylvania!
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Goodness just been contacted about a job in Singapore, spec fits to a tea -

Room for one more?
                    Depends, do you like the amber nectar?

I need to find a whole new set of beer buddies!
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      Pennsylvania!
                      I drive through Pennsylvania every week going from Bath back to the M4
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X