• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Premium Bonds, Alan Sugar and government debt"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Absolutely Wendigo. The rate was long ago adjusted for the zero tax so in effect there was very little tax benefit. Another disguised Gordon Brown stealth tax to pay for TB ego wars, third world parasites etc.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    "However, unlike the lotto you do get to keep your stake if you don't win, which is quite a crucial difference."

Hmm...not really...

If you had invested that 500 quid in a savings account returning just a few percent each year then you could have used the interest to possibly pay for a gamble on the lottery each month, and would still have the original 500 untouched...devalued due to inflation of course.

Putting up to £30k as they suggest in something which guarantees no return, or sticking it in an online saving account and having up to a grand a year to spend on the lotto doesn't seem to suggest it has any advantage...

Leave a comment:

• Xena
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Black
    http://www.nsandi.com/products/pb/howitworks.jsp

Hmm...maybe the 'prize fund' rate averages 3%, but that doesn't mean everyone gets that. Sounds more like the lotto to me.

I think a few quid each week picking some numbers and have the chance of 'winning a prize', while investing all the rest in something else seems a much better option...
    Indeed, as I said earlier I've had £500 worth for 35 years and my rate of return has been 0%. However, unlike the lotto you do get to keep your stake if you don't win, which is quite a crucial difference.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    http://www.nsandi.com/products/pb/howitworks.jsp

Hmm...maybe the 'prize fund' rate averages 3%, but that doesn't mean everyone gets that. Sounds more like the lotto to me.

I think a few quid each week picking some numbers and have the chance of 'winning a prize', while investing all the rest in something else seems a much better option...

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    According to the Motley Fool, the prize fund rate is 3%, which is the equivalent of a 5% return for a higher rate taxpayer and 3.75% for a basic rate taxpayer.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    And presumably the winnings don't count as income for tax return purposes?

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    Originally posted by NoddY
    Wins from Premium Bonds are untaxed. They are often favoured by the rich as a safe place to bury the money up to the maximum permitted. Returns (wins) are often at or above todays rate of interest over a long term - with the opportunity of winning 'the big one'. However they are only good in times of low inflation.

I've often seen favourable comments about them on investment boards

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre
    Isn't that 6% net?
    Wins from Premium Bonds are untaxed. They are often favoured by the rich as a safe place to bury the money up to the maximum permitted. Returns (wins) are often at or above todays rate of interest over a long term - with the opportunity of winning 'the big one'. However they are only good in times of low inflation.

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    Isn't that 6% net?

Leave a comment:

• Xena
    replied
    I've had £500 worth for 35 years. My rate of return has been 0%.

Leave a comment:

• MikeB
    replied
    6%??

nobody I know gets 6% over a reasonable period of time. Some have made good money initially but as things level out 2.5-3% seems to be more normal.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by Clownio
    DOH ! - Anyone want some premium bonds , they're going cheap.
    yup I'll have them,,,,,the rate of return is about 6%

Leave a comment:

• Clownio
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Anyone seen that advert for premium bonds, where Alan Sugar says he is giving his fee for the advert to charity because he believes in the product?

It is boll*x.

Alan Sugar is a Labour luvvy. Labour need to borrow more money as always, and borrowing it from us via premium bonds is cheaper than borrowing from anywhere else, because premium bonds have a crap rate of return. Hence the campaign.

He must think we are stupid.

DOH ! - Anyone want some premium bonds , they're going cheap.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    He doesn't think we are stupid. He knows we are stupid and he has proof. Three terms of New Lie prove it beyond all doubt.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    started a topic Premium Bonds, Alan Sugar and government debt

Premium Bonds, Alan Sugar and government debt

Anyone seen that advert for premium bonds, where Alan Sugar says he is giving his fee for the advert to charity because he believes in the product?

It is boll*x.

Alan Sugar is a Labour luvvy. Labour need to borrow more money as always, and borrowing it from us via premium bonds is cheaper than borrowing from anywhere else, because premium bonds have a crap rate of return. Hence the campaign.

He must think we are stupid.

Working...
X