• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "F1 Japan (possible spoilers)... Anyone watching live?"

Collapse

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    what is British F1?
    There was a British series for a few years and also a South African series for some time. At this point there were all sorts of problems in motorsport. British F1 effectively grew from the old UK F5000 of mid/late 70's. It changed it's rules to also allow entries to the then FIA F1 cars (and possibly some others as well). Initially they ran multiple formula in the same event but it was I think eventually upgraded to be compliant with the then FIA F1 regs - this is the point at which it became British F1.

F1 is a set of regulations. The FIA F1 world championship is a series run to those regulations.

I rather imagine Bernie has it adequately sown up now, though it didn't use to be - the proposed breakaway was not allowed to call themselves F1 for example - even if they ran to whatever rules were defined by the FIA at the time.

Leave a comment:

• Scary
    replied
    Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    what is British F1?
    This one? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Formula_One_Series

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Desire Wilson won an F1 race (or sorts - British F1) at Brands. She was taken fairly seriously, though only ever got 1 entry in what was then F1 "proper" and did not qualify.

I think the physical demands of F1 are probably greater than Indy - but Danica Patrick deserves to be taken seriously. She has quite a lot of talent in my view.
    what is British F1?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Driving in F1 sounds horrendous. You lose literally litres of sweat, get jolted all over the place and get burnt on the foot/arse. It sounds about as glamorous as driving off-road through a desert in a Jeep wearing all your warmest cloths.
    Indeed, but that's why they're the modern day equivalent of fighter pilots. Nobody in their right mind would want to do it, but they can probably get all the girls and money they'd ever want.

If there was going to be a serious female F1 driver, the sponsors would be lining up to back her and she'd have no trouble getting a drive. But if she turned out to be another Luca Badoer or Alex Zinardi, the effect would be somewhat different.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Driving in F1 sounds horrendous. You lose literally litres of sweat, get jolted all over the place and get burnt on the foot/arse. It sounds about as glamorous as driving off-road through a desert in a Jeep wearing all your warmest cloths.
    But think of the MONEY!!!!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Interestingly, women are physiologically more suited to flying fighter planes than men.

I doubt this translates to driving cars quickly though, that is obviously man's work.
    Outthinking, outdrinking, outbrakeing - so what are you fellas for then?

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Yes, I know there have been women in F1 but I meant there will be more in the future and they will be taken seriously this time. The real problem is getting them in to the cars in the first place. I appreciate there are physical demands but it wasn't so long ago that 'experts' were insisting that women couldn't run marathons.
    Desire Wilson won an F1 race (or sorts - British F1) at Brands. She was taken fairly seriously, though only ever got 1 entry in what was then F1 "proper" and did not qualify.

I think the physical demands of F1 are probably greater than Indy - but Danica Patrick deserves to be taken seriously. She has quite a lot of talent in my view.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Interestingly, women are physiologically more suited to flying fighter planes than men.

I doubt this translates to driving cars quickly though, that is obviously man's work.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    They can't... well nowhere near as fast as a man, there was a 15 minute difference between the fastest man and woman in this years London marathon.

I thought 'hooj ballz' were required to drive at 200mph?
    Now you are just being silly

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Yes, I know there have been women in F1 but I meant there will be more in the future and they will be taken seriously this time. The real problem is getting them in to the cars in the first place. I appreciate there are physical demands but it wasn't so long ago that 'experts' were insisting that women couldn't run marathons.
    They can't... well nowhere near as fast as a man, there was a 15 minute difference between the fastest man and woman in this years London marathon.

I thought 'hooj ballz' were required to drive at 200mph?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    It's already happened. Giovanni Amati in 1992. The only femal every to score a point (half actually) was Lella Lombardi in the tragic 1975 Spanish Grand Prix at Monjuic.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Well fck you

It'll happen (laydees in F1) but it is physically tough, so sponsors will take a lot of convincing(and, I suspect, an 'impressive' physique) . Also - how do you put your make up on with no rear view mirror?

I suspect Danica was only in with a chance to get money in to the team - but ain't they all?
    It's already happened. Giovanni Amati in 1992. The only female ever to score a point (half actually) was Lella Lombardi in the tragic 1975 Spanish Grand Prix at Montjuic.

Bother: Hadn't seen Scarys reply.
    Last edited by ASB; 5 October 2009, 21:15.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    And a whopping half a point between them... sorry Zippy

On the other hand, the Yanks have the delicious Danica Patrick to drool over

http://bittenandbound.com/wp-content...patrick-si.jpg

At least she has won a race, which is more than a few of the current F1 crowd can claim. She was nearly in Rueben's seat this year - until Honda threw in the towel.
    Well fck you

It'll happen (laydees in F1) but it is physically tough, so sponsors will take a lot of convincing(and, I suspect, an 'impressive' physique) . Also - how do you put your make up on with no rear view mirror?

I suspect Danica was only in with a chance to get money in to the team - but ain't they all?

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by Scary View Post
    And a whopping half a point between them... sorry Zippy

On the other hand, the Yanks have the delicious Danica Patrick to drool over

http://bittenandbound.com/wp-content...patrick-si.jpg

At least she has won a race, which is more than a few of the current F1 crowd can claim. She was nearly in Rueben's seat this year - until Honda threw in the towel.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X