• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Strictly Come Chuffing Dancing!!!!"

Collapse

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I can't understand the attraction of these shows.

Why watch some z lister dance or skate really badly when you could watch people who are actually good at it.

Then you get x factor which is just a mechanism to increase the wealth of Simon Cowell. Watching a bunch of nobodies warbling away to the same old sad arsed songs. The show is only any good when they have the auditions on but even a lot of that is staged - and as 'good' as that bit is, it still doesn't get me watching.

Big brother - watching a load of (often) imported freaks sitting around in a house. Great!

Why is ther now celeb cum lapdancing?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    A BJ is inadequate compensation IMO
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    What should I be asking for?
    Something pleasant that lasts as long as that bloody show! (Use your imagination)
    I don't see why the original suggestion doesn't meet those requirements.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Saturday night TV has always been dire, it's proof that you really can't please everyone. I can't remember what was on in that time slot before but you can bet it wasn't any more stimulating than SCD.

What's the problem with TV schedules anyway? I would have thought everyone had a PVR by now.

Flavia FTW!

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Something pleasant that lasts as long as that bloody show! (Use your imagination)

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    A BJ is inadequate compensation IMO

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Dooohg posted : BBC could create the most vibrantly brilliant 5-part drama with wonderful acting and putting it up against X-factor/dance-on-my-face/lock-the-celeb-in-the-monkey-cage would be ratings suicide
    I agree wholeheartedly.

That got me thinking however. As you say, a vibrantly brilliant drama wouldn't compete against the reality mush, but what about something like Rome ?

BBC Two premiered Rome in the United Kingdom on 2 November 2005, attracting 6.6 million viewers (27%); viewing figures declined in future episodes, with the season finale only attracting 3 million viewers (13%).

Let's face it, Rome was hardly historically accurate, but it featured plenty of violence and nudity, and well, the viewing figures are a case in point and speak for themselves.

Particularly when you consider that Rome was also shown in Italy, in a much more sanitised version without the acres of flesh and gratuitous blood-letting. It's ratings ? 10% of the audience share, though I cannot find what that corresponds in to actual numbers.

It's all about ratings, and getting as many as possible, and if cheap, no-brainer TV can accompany that, then that's what we will get.

As long as people continue to watch these programs, and deliver the ratings the TV Stations require, then we're stuck with them I'm afraid.

Out of interest, I did some more digging around on the interwebs, and found this.

BBC2, which paid £100,000 per episode of THE SIMPSONS, pulled out of bidding in 2002, after the channel controller at the time, Jane Root, said she refused to pay "football match cash" for the rights.

Channel 4 struck a deal said to be worth £750,000 per episode. Since its launch on Channel 4 in Nov 2004, the cartoon has attracted ratings of up to 3.5 million at the time of this report (dated Dec 2004)

Back to Rome. I cannot see "I, Claudius" attracting the same level of viewing figures, even though it was more plausibly accurate (well, better researched in most areas anyway).

If the BBC wanted to "fix" this for the Saturday night audience, all they need to do is get Graham Norton in a toga and crown, mincing around ala Frankie Howerd in "Lurcio " character (Up Pompeii!)

Throw in a generous helping of "bottom jokes", suggestive deviant behaviour, a constant stream of double entendres, nudge nudge jokes about Centurions "Weapons", a General called "Farticus" (because Biggus Dickus has been done before), some steamy Roman Bath shots, a nympho Senator's wife, a slave girl with a big pair of wotsits, and I think we could have a winner.

The counter argument is that is has always been as thus.

Look back over the history of TV in this country and it trends the native British obsession with the above style of humour.

Even Shakespeare realised that us Brits were quite a bawdy lot and his plays are stuffed full of puns and naughty innuendo.

The TV producers must be aware of this, and cater to the majority tastes. That's not to say they don't produce any quality, high brow drama and documentaries, because they do. Just not in the volume that they shoot celebrity mush, because there is a greater demand for the latter.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it, personally.

I purchase the DVD or Blueray box sets of what I like to watch, and never turn on the telly for terrestrial programming. It's a win-win.

(Well mostly, although even the sort of programs I like are highly prone to ratings requirements, and the Yanks tend to cancel a program, even if it has a cult following, because the ratings are not high enough. Firefly being an example)
    Last edited by Board Game Geek; 4 October 2009, 15:26.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Wasn't there a rerun of CSI on? NCIS is the most blatant rip-off and seems to compromise of stereotyped roles using actors who couldn't get a part in CSI or any of its spin-offs.
    Yes.

Seen it before (probably).

I never watch repeats of CSI.

The NCIS episode was timeshifted from Friday at 21:00 on FX, the True Blood ep (which gives it away really) was timeshifted from Friday at 22:00 on FX.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It's not the BBC's fault that reality TV shows attract bigger audiences than decent programming. It's the wonderful British public. BBC could create the most vibrantly brilliant 5-part drama with wonderful acting and putting it up against X-factor/dance-on-my-face/lock-the-celeb-in-the-monkey-cage would be ratings suicide.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    It's just the BBC providing balanced and diverse programming. Early evening reality show for the birds and gay fellas, later on it's MOTD for the blokes.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Evil bloke posted : For the blokes it's purgatory, up there with shopping.
    That's not true. It's a sweeping genealisation much like this one.

I know several mates who love both in fact.

Oh hang on..they are homosexuals, which might explain it.

I do like shopping though.
    Last edited by Board Game Geek; 4 October 2009, 12:22.

Leave a comment:

• Evil Hangover
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I avoid all this celebrity stuff.

I hated Come Dancing when I was a kid. Passionately. WTF should I start liking it now? I'm proud to say I've never watched even a minute of the Strictly crap.
    WHS

Classic example of the BBC flushing our cash down the toliet, in order to chase ratings. They've just jumped on the national obsession with celebrity and milked it to within an inch of its life

As a corporation they are bankrupt of any new ideas when it comes to light entertainment, so have to recycle this garbage.

Dancing is a ratings winner because the ladies love a good bop. For the blokes it's purgatory, up there with shopping.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    I watched the final episode of series 6 of NCIS.
    Wasn't there a rerun of CSI on? NCIS is the most blatant rip-off and seems to compromise of stereotyped roles using actors who couldn't get a part in CSI or any of its spin-offs.
    Last edited by d000hg; 4 October 2009, 11:47. Reason: spleng

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Halcyon View Post
    This begs the question, why are you watching it????

I wasn't watching it, I was on here whilst Mrs SB and #1 daughter were watching it!!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    I avoid all this celebrity stuff.

I hated Come Dancing when I was a kid. Passionately. WTF should I start liking it now? I'm proud to say I've never watched even a minute of the Strictly crap.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    I watched the final episode of series 6 of NCIS.

Followed closely by the final episode of series 1 of True Blood.

Followed not quite so closely by the Monty Python thing on BBC2.

Fringe season 2 returns tonight at 10 on Sky One.

Bones and Lie to Me return on Thursday.

I'm sure there something else I'll watch during the week.

Oh yes, "Life" on ITV3 on Wednesday at 10. The Zen of Police work. Oooom.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X