• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Cheap PC

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cheap PC"

Collapse

• MrsGoof
    replied
    Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom
    Real men use Apache - which runs on anything.
    I'm still trying to get it to run on my ZX81 with 4k ram pack, can anyone help ?

Leave a comment:

• PerlOfWisdom
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs
    You forgot the biggie - no IIS on the home edition which makes it useless for web dabbling.
    Real men use Apache - which runs on anything.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsGoof
    £200 and no MOBO, CPU, PSU, SOUND CARD, GRAPHIcS CARD, USB...

Hmm have you noticed it doesn't work yet ?
    Actually it does it works better than my Tosh laptop. But then that has McAfee on it

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    I recently bought a base unit (+ keyboard, mouse, USB-powered speakers, Win XP home and Nero CD) for 299€ in Auchan, pick up and walk to checkout with it. I'd be surprised if you can't do as well in the UK.
    £200 and no MOBO, CPU, PSU, SOUND CARD, GRAPHIcS CARD, USB...

Hmm have you noticed it doesn't work yet ?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    I recently bought a base unit (+ keyboard, mouse, USB-powered speakers, Win XP home and Nero CD) for 299€ in Auchan, pick up and walk to checkout with it. I'd be surprised if you can't do as well in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs
    You forgot the biggie - no IIS on the home edition which makes it useless for web dabbling.
    There is a way of getting IIS on XP Home Edition (if you have the XP Pro/Win2k Enterprise disks). Single site only - same as the old Personal Edition version - google it.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsGoof
    uncle google says

Windows XP Home Edition

Contains basic support for security among multiple users.
    Built-in support for peer-to-peer networking, but only for up to five computers.
    The backup utlity is not installed by default, but is included on the CD.
    [CUT]
    Although they share the same Kernel, the security system on XP home is very reduced (only accounts are guest and administrators). This has an impact on all applications where you have to configure user rights. I am not aware of a possible workaround.

Leave a comment:

• PerlOfWisdom
    replied
    Thanks.

As soon as you click "Customise and Buy", the price changes from £299 to £393.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Google is your friend.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_home_pro.asp

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    uncle google says

Windows XP Home Edition

Contains basic support for security among multiple users.
    Built-in support for peer-to-peer networking, but only for up to five computers.
    The backup utlity is not installed by default, but is included on the CD.

Windows XP Professional Edition

Includes extended support for security between multiple users on the same machine.
    Better support for peer-to-peer networking, plus support for joining a "Windows NT domain."
    The backup utlity is installed by default.
    The Professional edition includes the following components not found in the Home edition:
    Administrative Tools (in the Start Menu and Control Panel)
    Automated System Recovery (ASR)
    Boot Configuration Manager
    DriverQuery
    Group Policy Refresh Utility
    Multi-lingual User Interface (MUI) add-on
    NTFS Encryption Utilitiy
    Offline Files and Folders
    OpenFiles
    Performance Log Manager
    Remote Desktop
    Scheduled Tasks Console
    Security Template Utility
    Taskkill
    Tasklist
    Telnet Administrator
    Provides support for multi-processor systems (2 or 4 CPUs), Dynamic Disks, Fax.

Leave a comment:

• PerlOfWisdom
    replied
    What's the difference between XP Home and XP Professional?

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    I seem to recall a news item this morning of the 100$ PC being presented.

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    You can indeed pick up PC bargains these days. E-Buyer had a similar thing a week or two ago (with preinstalled Linux I believe).

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    although Dell do have some very good offers, but the delivery is SOOooooooooooo expensive as well.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X