• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Who thinks Obama and Brown are going to head up a strike on Iran any time soon ?"

Collapse

• suityou01
    replied
    Now hear ye hear ye

watch this

A military strike on Iran remains an option for this president, or the next
    Clip is from the Dubya era

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TinTrump View Post
    Communism is not a religion (no belief in a deity for starters). Political philosophy.
    It was religion in USSR - the deity was Lenin (and Stalin at some point).

HTH

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    You went to a school where you were told that Stalin was the 'gardener of happiness', 'architect of a nation' and other such tripe. Your education came with a heavy mix of indoctrination and brainwashing, first chance you have you get over here and tell us what our view on the world should be.

FFS You should understand the meaning of "tin-pot".

For example, AtW is a tin-pot programmer. Geddit now?

Leave a comment:

• TinTrump
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    At least the Soviet religion (communism) denied life after death.
    Communism is not a religion (no belief in a deity for starters). Political philosophy.

Leave a comment:

• TinTrump
    replied
    Check definition of tin pot: "adj. Insignificant or unimportant; minor."

Chaves is tin pot dictator
    Disagree. Venezuela has huge oil revenue/reserves, balance of payments surplus, tweaks the US' nose in its own backyard, has Russian warships over for tea, has several other countries in the region aligned with it and has just oganised a conference with African leaders.

Whatever you think of him, Chavez is proof the US is overstrectched. Colombia is facilitating US bases whilst a border war with Venezuela is a real possiblity. Trouble brewing in South America.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    I don't think it a wise move however, to keep pushing the Israelis......Iran should be very careful.

Didn't the Israelis attack with ground forces some time back? I seem to recall.....

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
    That's the big question. Do they really believe all the religious nonsense they peddle to the people, or is it purely for regime survival and gaining leverage and bargaining power against the West?
    The real question is - do you want to take chances that they are sane? At least the Soviet religion (communism) denied life after death.

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    I think his point was that Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD) is effective when both sides value their lives - as the Soviet's clearly did.

However, MAD is quite useless against an enemy that actually thinks they will benefit from a martyr's death.

However, I'm not convinced that the Ayatollah's are prepared to sacrifice themselves, despite the rhetoric.
    That's the big question. Do they really believe all the religious nonsense they peddle to the people, or is it purely for regime survival and gaining leverage and bargaining power against the West?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    I think his point was that Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD) is effective when both sides value their lives - as the Soviet's clearly did.

However, MAD is quite useless against an enemy that actually thinks they will benefit from a martyr's death.

However, I'm not convinced that the Ayatollah's are prepared to sacrifice themselves, despite the rhetoric.
    That's one of my points yes, the main one however was that "tin pot" does not apply to Iran or Soviet Union or even current Soviet Russia. This does not mean they are good democratic countries, it just means that they are not "tin pot", or in other words - not insignificant, one might say unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    You are trying to tell me that a country that banned the Beatles and had some crusty dead embalmed politician as a national monument should be taken seriously? A place where Stalin is still revered as a top chap.

If you are going to persist in using the metric that nukes make a country then North Korea is more important that Japan?

The indoctrination you had obviously worked.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    You went to a school where you were told that Stalin was the 'gardener of happiness', 'architect of a nation' and other such tripe. Your education came with a heavy mix of indoctrination and brainwashing, first chance you have you get over here and tell us what our view on the world should be.
    Well, you don't even know the meaning of "tin pot" in your (presumably native tongue), yet you pretend that you know my education?

FYI I studied in a Soviet school from 1982-91 (Soviet union gone in that year). Stalin was just one of the Soviet leaders, the typical train of authoritarian regimes is that current leader is the best and most talked about everywhere, including newspapers. The only exception was made for Lenin, there was almost nothing on Stalin since all Soviet leaders past him were shadow of the man.

So, you are wrong on this count as well, hardly suprising - I don't know which schools you got taught it, but they certainly did not teach you well simple things like logic.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Are you a retard? I refer you back to definition of "tin pot" above - it means "insignificant", not anything else that you are trying to expand in your futile effort to avoid admitting that you made an error.

Sure you are right about other things you say about Soviet Union/Russia, that's totally wrong, backwards, idiotic etc - but "tin pot" does not apply to a country with lots of nukes because whether you like it or not nukes are significant.

North Korea is not more important than Japan, but North Korea is one million times more important (to Japan for example who are in close proximity to a new (other than Soviet Russia) backwards nuclear wielding nation), but it is certainly more important than Zimbabwe even though both countries share elements of backwardness.

Therefore, Iran is not a tin pot country (despite having backwards religions regime), if it was pretty much nobody in the West would give a tulip about it other than from time to time to publish stuff about hyper inflation like it happens in Zimbabwe, which is a tin pot country.

Do you understand now?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    You are trying to tell me that a country that banned the Beatles and had some crusty dead embalmed politician as a national monument should be taken seriously? A place where Stalin is still revered as a top chap.

If you are going to persist in using the metric that nukes make a country then North Korea is more important that Japan?

Are you a retard? I refer you back to definition of "tin pot" above - it means "insignificant", not anything else that you are trying to expand in your futile effort to avoid admitting that you made an error.

Sure you are right about other things you say about Soviet Union/Russia, that's totally wrong, backwards, idiotic etc - but "tin pot" does not apply to a country with lots of nukes because whether you like it or not nukes are significant.

North Korea is not more important than Japan, but North Korea is one million times more important (to Japan for example who are in close proximity to a new (other than Soviet Russia) backwards nuclear wielding nation), but it is certainly more important than Zimbabwe even though both countries share elements of backwardness.

Therefore, Iran is not a tin pot country (despite having backwards religions regime), if it was pretty much nobody in the West would give a tulip about it other than from time to time to publish stuff about hyper inflation like it happens in Zimbabwe, which is a tin pot country.

Do you understand now?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I've given you an English definition of what "tin pot" means, neither Iran nor Soviet Union qualify.

The fact that Soviet leaders were unelected, were corrupt etc etc is irrelevant - so long as they had nukes (like they do now), they are not "tin pot" - Mugabe is, Chaves is, Castro is and Iran was, but with nukes that's no longer the case, which is why there is such a "fuss" about it.

At least Soviet leaders wanted to live, the ayatollahs from Iran show all signs of preparing to die for their aggressive believes which is why they should never be allowed to have nukes.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I would say that Russia/Russian Federation/USSR/(whatever they want to call themselves these days) has always been a tulip stye.

If you think a country should be judged on their nuclear weapons then I suppose North Korea is more important than Germany.

Russia/Russian Federation/USSR/(whatever they want to call themselves these days) will always have fruit loops in charge, even with this flirtation with democracy you still get people killed for their views and for what they write.
    I've given you an English definition of what "tin pot" means, neither Iran nor Soviet Union qualify.

The fact that Soviet leaders were unelected, were corrupt etc etc is irrelevant - so long as they had nukes (like they do now), they are not "tin pot" - Mugabe is, Chaves is, Castro is and Iran was, but with nukes that's no longer the case, which is why there is such a "fuss" about it.

At least Soviet leaders wanted to live, the ayatollahs from Iran show all signs of preparing to die for their aggressive believes which is why they should never be allowed to have nukes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X