• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who thinks Obama and Brown are going to head up a strike on Iran any time soon ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    You went to a school where you were told that Stalin was the 'gardener of happiness', 'architect of a nation' and other such tripe. Your education came with a heavy mix of indoctrination and brainwashing, first chance you have you get over here and tell us what our view on the world should be.
    Well, you don't even know the meaning of "tin pot" in your (presumably native tongue), yet you pretend that you know my education?

FYI I studied in a Soviet school from 1982-91 (Soviet union gone in that year). Stalin was just one of the Soviet leaders, the typical train of authoritarian regimes is that current leader is the best and most talked about everywhere, including newspapers. The only exception was made for Lenin, there was almost nothing on Stalin since all Soviet leaders past him were shadow of the man.

So, you are wrong on this count as well, hardly suprising - I don't know which schools you got taught it, but they certainly did not teach you well simple things like logic.

Comment

You are trying to tell me that a country that banned the Beatles and had some crusty dead embalmed politician as a national monument should be taken seriously? A place where Stalin is still revered as a top chap.

If you are going to persist in using the metric that nukes make a country then North Korea is more important that Japan?

The indoctrination you had obviously worked.
      I think his point was that Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD) is effective when both sides value their lives - as the Soviet's clearly did.

However, MAD is quite useless against an enemy that actually thinks they will benefit from a martyr's death.

However, I'm not convinced that the Ayatollah's are prepared to sacrifice themselves, despite the rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
        I think his point was that Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD) is effective when both sides value their lives - as the Soviet's clearly did.

However, MAD is quite useless against an enemy that actually thinks they will benefit from a martyr's death.

However, I'm not convinced that the Ayatollah's are prepared to sacrifice themselves, despite the rhetoric.
        That's one of my points yes, the main one however was that "tin pot" does not apply to Iran or Soviet Union or even current Soviet Russia. This does not mean they are good democratic countries, it just means that they are not "tin pot", or in other words - not insignificant, one might say unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post

That's the big question. Do they really believe all the religious nonsense they peddle to the people, or is it purely for regime survival and gaining leverage and bargaining power against the West?

Comment

Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
            That's the big question. Do they really believe all the religious nonsense they peddle to the people, or is it purely for regime survival and gaining leverage and bargaining power against the West?
            The real question is - do you want to take chances that they are sane? At least the Soviet religion (communism) denied life after death.

Comment

I don't think it a wise move however, to keep pushing the Israelis......Iran should be very careful.

Didn't the Israelis attack with ground forces some time back? I seem to recall.....
              "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Check definition of tin pot: "adj. Insignificant or unimportant; minor."

Chaves is tin pot dictator
                Disagree. Venezuela has huge oil revenue/reserves, balance of payments surplus, tweaks the US' nose in its own backyard, has Russian warships over for tea, has several other countries in the region aligned with it and has just oganised a conference with African leaders.

Whatever you think of him, Chavez is proof the US is overstrectched. Colombia is facilitating US bases whilst a border war with Venezuela is a real possiblity. Trouble brewing in South America.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  At least the Soviet religion (communism) denied life after death.
                  Communism is not a religion (no belief in a deity for starters). Political philosophy.

Comment

You went to a school where you were told that Stalin was the 'gardener of happiness', 'architect of a nation' and other such tripe. Your education came with a heavy mix of indoctrination and brainwashing, first chance you have you get over here and tell us what our view on the world should be.

FFS You should understand the meaning of "tin-pot".

For example, AtW is a tin-pot programmer. Geddit now?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by TinTrump View Post
                      Communism is not a religion (no belief in a deity for starters). Political philosophy.
                      It was religion in USSR - the deity was Lenin (and Stalin at some point).

HTH

Comment

Working...
                      X