• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Sockpuppetry

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sockpuppetry"

Collapse

• madman
    replied
    Originally posted by singhr View Post
    Just got back from a team lunch and am feeling no pain. Just checked out CUK to see what is going on and find it's the usual mix of sockpuppets posting troll style and the other seamingly non-sockpuppets accusing the others of being sockpuppets. As a non-sockpuppet and thanks to a few pints of IPA I start to wonder at what point do non-sockpuppets decide to go in for a bit of sockpuppetry? am I making any sense (hic)? what are the deciding factors in choosing to stray to the dark side?
    Maybe you are a Sockpuppet?

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    How the hell did you know that was me?
    1 4m 2 l33t 4 u. 1 pwn3d U.

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Hello, "Oracle or Delphi".

How the hell did you know that was me?

(possible triple bluff.)

actually my life is too complicated already without duplicating myself. I am going to leave the sockpuppet idea now - the IPA has worn off

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Yeah , if you live in the 1970's and think 'Love thy neighbor' is the cutting edge of comedy.
    Saw a program recently with actors from the series. They were cringing at the awfulness of it.....

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Yeah , if you live in the 1970's and think 'Love thy neighbor' is the cutting edge of comedy.
    WOT!! You mean it isn't???? Just You Shut up Honky!!!

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    While I'll concede that some of the sockies are dull and tedious, others are very funny.

Bob Shawadiwadi's a perfect example. He hardly posts, so nobody ever gets sick of him, and his posts are always good for a giggle

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    DiscoStu posted : Bob Shawadiwadi's a perfect example. He hardly posts, so nobody ever gets sick of him, and his posts are always good for a giggle.
    The problem with Sockies are that it's a lot like Wrestling.

I.e., it's all make-believe, bluff and bluster, but entertains some people anyhow.

I used to have massive rows with my Dad and Gran when I was in my teens, when they used to watch the Wrestling on ITV, at about 5pm on a Saturday.

There were these fellas, all brawn and muscle (or usually chips and pie bellied), throwing themselves and each other around the ring, whilst Dad and Gran used to watch, on the edge of their seats.

I'd be screaming blue murder : "Noooo, it's all a play act, how can you watch this knowing that it's completely false ? Are you retards ?"

But watch it they did.

Looking back, I guess they just wanted to be "entertained", and realism was not important.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    No. Please. Don't.

There are enough on here already posting drivel, some of which is contentious and could cause problems if an CUK was ordered by a court to subpoena duces tecum their membership list and IP addresses.
    While I'll concede that some of the sockies are dull and tedious, others are very funny.

Bob Shawadiwadi's a perfect example. He hardly posts, so nobody ever gets sick of him, and his posts are always good for a giggle

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Once or twice.

Of course, the only way to prove that you are Spartacus is to tell us your favourite sandwich. If you're right, then you must be Spartacus - if not, just a mere imposter.
    I couldn't sleep, so I just got up to make myself a ham and tomato sandwich with some mustard.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Singhr : So I confess, I have just registered a sockpuppet
    No. Please. Don't.

There are enough on here already posting drivel, some of which is contentious and could cause problems if an CUK was ordered by a court to subpoena duces tecum their membership list and IP addresses.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If you were, you'd have to be SY01's... but then he can't be since he tells us so in every single post

I have sometimes read SY01's posts and wanted to accuse him of being my sockpuppet too! His earlier posts reminded me so much of me.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I'm a sockpuppet.
    If you were, you'd have to be SY01's... but then he can't be since he tells us so in every single post

Leave a comment:

• scotspine
    replied
    oh dear not a good start. the 1st law of sockpuppetry states that nobody should know. to start with at any rate.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I have just registered a sockpuppet. It's going to be dormant for a while to throw you off the scent
    Hello, "Oracle or Delphi".

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    So I confess, I have just registered a sockpuppet. It's going to be dormant for a while to throw you off the sent but it opened up a whole new aspect to CUK posting behaviour I was oblivious to. What are all those familiar names posting like crazy on the counting and test delete threads doing? There is more to this sub-culture than I imagined.
    Ah ha. This is one of those double-bluff thingys isn't it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X