• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Men more likely to leave sick partners"

Collapse

• Zippy
    replied
    WRCS

One of my favrouite rants is about how papers (or websites) can take a piece of speculative research and turn that into 'scientists say'. Not going to rant though ...

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Why are we discussing a Daily Mail article. Most journalists are thick as pig-tulip but the ones on the mail are ultra-cretinous.
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    That is a hell of a conclusion based on the presented evidence.
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    This is the Daily Mail that likes to classify everything into either causing or curing cancer.
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I think the Daily Mail is a steaming pile of crap.
    I am normally quite good at tracing the origins of these stories but I have got bored and stopped.

The newspapers that report this story online quote the Daily Mail as their source.

The Daily Mail provides neither the name of their journalist, nor the researchers, nor the date, nor whether the research was published. Merely "the researchers, from Washington University in Seattle". This could be one undergraduate's work that was so poor it resulted in the student being expelled from the Uni - we don't know and cannot tell.

There is no sign of a paper or press release from Washington University on the subject. Nor in any of the popular journals. So it may even be fiction.

You do not need to have read Dr Ben Goldacre's Bad Science to know:

The British media, and the Daily Mail in particular, should never be used as a source for science based stories.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    What does the esteemed panel think?
    I think the Daily Mail is a steaming pile of crap. It no longer even pretends to represent any form of responsible journalism; it merely seizes upon something, twists it around into a shape it thinks will please its readers after the manner of a childrens' entertainer making balloon animals, then glues on whatever other bits it feels necessary after the manner of a Blue Peter presenter making a toilet roll core into a model of the Cutty Sark.

I haven't even bothered reading the story you linked to because it would be a waste of my retinas. If I were to bother going back to the original sources on which they based their "story" I have no doubt they would not justify the DM's take on things in any way, shape or form.

The DM has long since gone beyond shoddy journalism into the realms of pure fiction, bolstered by distortion of what few facts they rely on, specious exaggeration, blatantly ignoring contradictory truths, and a healthy dose of pandering to their readers' prejudices. If you take what they publish seriously, you make a fool of yourself.

If you bought a paper copy, you should ask for your money back under the Sale of Goods Act, as the product is clearly not fit for its declared purpose as a newspaper - unless you want to wrap fish in the traditional manner.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    This is the Daily Mail that likes to clasify everything into either causing or curing cancer. However, in recent months they have had coffee as both causing and curing cancer. They don't really understand what a confounding factor is nor do their readers. Nor do they understand the principle of good experimental design.

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    Dail Mail

I think that's broadly true, and ditto he is more likely to disappear or engineer a divorce if she turns ugly, but I don't think this tells the whole story. True, as a Daily Mail expert paraphraser concluded "a woman is better at standing by her man than vice versa", in cases of illness or ugliness perhaps, but I don't think a woman would stick by a man who has lost all his money. Whereas a man would stick by a poor woman if she has nice n****s and is up for a bit of ^$$^%$£%$ing.

What does the esteemed panel think?
    If a man gets the chance with a younger, better looking model he often does. Loses all his money in the divorce settlement with it. Woman are just better at hidding it...

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    That is a hell of a conclusion based on the presented evidence.
    There are other possibilities other than the bloke ran away.

Leave a comment:

• sweetandsour
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    In fact it will be more of a benefit
    Less cooking, washing, cleaning etc... for her to do

Too right! lol.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
    Let's face it, men make pretty crap carers so it is not going to be much of a loss for the women is it?
    I agree. What are 'male' nurses like?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Why are we discussing a Daily Mail article. Most journalists are thick as pig-tulip but the ones on the mail are ultra-cretinous.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
    Let's face it, men make pretty crap carers so it is not going to be much of a loss for the women is it?
    In fact it will be more of a benefit
    Less cooking, washing, cleaning etc... for her to do

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Maybe she's a lesbian?
    Pretty sure she's not.

Leave a comment:

• sweetandsour
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    Bollocks.

My wife left me when I was sick.
    Maybe she's a lesbian?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    It sounds about right although I'm as shallow as the next man.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Bollocks.

My wife left me when I was sick.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X