• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Mice

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mice"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I get that bit but there is no mention of a container or barrier in the original spec to protect the mouse from the petrol explosion. It will be a crisp before it leaves the tube. Imagine the nighbours cats surprise when a ready cooked meal lands on its doorstep.
    Flied mice!

What about wadding such as used in a musket?

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Mouses can survive more g-forces than we can. You can drop a mouse down a mine shaft and it will survive. So firing one from a petrol-fuelled cannon and have it survive might well be plausible.
    I get that bit but there is no mention of a container or barrier in the original spec to protect the mouse from the petrol explosion. It will be a crisp before it leaves the tube. Imagine the nighbours cats surprise when a ready cooked meal lands on its doorstep.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I like the sound of this but can not see how to fire it without the rodent becoming toast.
    Mouses can survive more g-forces than we can. You can drop a mouse down a mine shaft and it will survive. So firing one from a petrol-fuelled cannon and have it survive might well be plausible.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    To get rid of the mouse once caught you need:

One metre of scaffold.
    One scaffold end piece.
    15mm drill
    12v battery
    One HT coil
    One HT lead
    One spark plug
    1 cc of petroleum.

Correctly assembled the mouse can be launched (live) to a distance several blocks away.
    I like the sound of this but can not see how to fire it without the rodent becoming toast.

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
    Tulip,

Little barstewards infesting my flat.

Woke up at 4h30 to find one tucking into my organic apples!

Any tips on how to get rid of them, my requirements are non-toxic as I have a dog and want to limit collateral damage, but humane dispatching of said pestilence is an optional requirement.

Sunny "mouse sh i te between my toes" san
    Are you related to Wilmslow?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    To get rid of the mouse once caught you need:

One metre of scaffold.
    One scaffold end piece.
    15mm drill
    12v battery
    One HT coil
    One HT lead
    One spark plug
    1 cc of petroleum.

Correctly assembled the mouse can be launched (live) to a distance several blocks away.

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    we did use a trap that caught em without killing but you end up having to wash the tulip out of it each time they get in there. plus you have to deal with live rodent as you are trying to rush out of house in morning with kids wanting to play with it. We've had at least 50 over years using the little nippers but they do get a bit bloody and wake you up as little chappie is thrashing around the kitchen in the middle of the night. makes their eyes pop out too if it catches em in middle of skull.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    You need to block all holes up with cement. You may find entry points around water and waste pipes. Cat is the best option as proved for thousands of years. If no cat then get a humane trap from B&Q. Cheap traps don't work.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    If you get someone in to poison them or poison them yourself then be prepared for a foul smelling house for a while.
    The poisoned animal will be in your wall or under your floor when it dies. There is a very distinctive smell to rotting rodent.

Leave a comment:

• TinTrump
    replied
    Originally posted by singhr View Post
    I recommend 'Little Nipper'. You can get em in multi-packs at Robert Dyas etc.
    I used 1 of these a few years back when we had a mouse appear in the kitchen of a shared house. Used a mix of oats & honey and caught 3 or 4 adults over week, although 1 wasn't a clean kill and I had to use a length of wood to finish it off, so you have to be prepared for that sort of eventuality. What made me laugh was that another housemate, in the TA, couldn't bring himself to do the deed. Dead tough these weekend warriors.

Anyhow, I digress Ronnie Corbet style.

I reset the trap and nothing for a couple of days. Then, returning from work one day, I found that 3 baby mice had ventured out, presumably starving with all the adults dead, and had all been killed by the trap in 1 fell swoop. That was kind of sad.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    Well we've got two cats and my experience is that cats bring mice into the house not the other way round.

We've also had birds, small rabbits, a trout, a rib-eye steak, a mole, slow worms and a squirrel.
    I'll raise your menagerie and add some bread rolls and frogs

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Well we've got two cats and my experience is that cats bring mice into the house not the other way round.

We've also had birds, small rabbits, a trout, a rib-eye steak, a mole, slow worms and a squirrel.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    To those whose pets snack on mice, it's worth pointing out that mice usually host a nasty parasitic worm and if this infects a larger animal it can cause all kinds of serious damage including blindness.

I don't recall the name(s), but possibly one of these species is described here.
    to combat that make sure you use a decent wormer once a month on your cat/dog stronghold notmally does the trick

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    To those whose pets snack on mice, it's worth pointing out that mice usually host a nasty parasitic worm and if this infects a larger animal it can cause all kinds of serious damage including blindness.

I don't recall the name(s), but possibly one of these species is described here.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Evil Hangover View Post
    .. So, make sure you hide / remove any fruit, and clean up as much as possible. If they start breeding you're f*****. ..
    They don't "start" breeding - they're always breeding - If you see one mouse it's almost certain there are a dozen or more in the vicinity.

edit: As SizeZero already pointed out

Leave a comment:

Working...
X