• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "So now permies can only ever be sick on work time"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Move to the Netherlands, they have something like that in place already
    For permies yes, but their salaries are crap AND they pay a lot more tax than freelancers. Employers are very wary of hiring IT permies and cover their risks by keeping the salary low.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    As I understood it, it was law. Or at least, within the legal framework, as a rule. Perhaps this is the first time it's been tested. Or the first time it's become Europe wide. At the time, it was certainly obscure - hence my need to point it out.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    This was back in 2000. As I understood it then, what was in the handbook was required by law back then. So what's changed? (btw, Self-cert sickness was most certainly NOT covered ).
    The handbook constituted part of your contract of employment but was not a blanket 'right' under the law?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    When I was a permie manager in the UK, I contracted bronchitis on the last few days of my holiday. I went to the doctor and got a sick note, as I was clearly going to be off more than the three days of self-cert. The sick note was dated from the date that I saw him.

I gave it into HR on return to work, and they credited my holiday account for the few days covered by the sick note, after I pointed out the relevant section in the employees handbook.

This was back in 2000. As I understood it then, what was in the handbook was required by law back then. So what's changed? (btw, Self-cert sickness was most certainly NOT covered ).

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    I believe some areas of the public sector have this already.

Duvet days, blanket days, sickness days on holiday, it's no wonder why contractors are more cost efficient and in demand!
    Yes they do, although it is discretionary.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    Absolutely. In fact the more benefits permies get, the better. I suggest we campaign for a 30 hour week and 10 weeks paid holiday a year for Permies NOW!
    Move to the Netherlands, they have something like that in place already

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post

Duvet days, blanket days, sickness days on holiday, it's no wonder why contractors are more cost efficient and in demand!
    Absolutely. In fact the more benefits permies get, the better. I suggest we campaign for a 30 hour week and 10 weeks paid holiday a year for Permies NOW!

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    It's a shame you can't provide a proof of lack of sickness to potential clients/employers.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I heard about this. So what does that means for us? I mean its hardly fair on us that we miss out on contractual rates if a permie sneezes in my face...

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    started a topic So now permies can only ever be sick on work time

So now permies can only ever be sick on work time

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...usinesses.html

Insanity!

Working...
X