• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "World Cup Qualifiers"

Collapse

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Massive funding into sport from lottery (and possibly government I don't know).

Cue "bloody Brown, spending our tax money on sport" comments...
    Football, rugby and cricket get lots of lottery money???

...and if memory serves, hockey lost lots of its lottery funding when both they guys and the gals did so badly at the last olympics.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    English sport seems to be doing rather well when you think about it...
    • Runners up in the rugby world cup
    • Won the ashes
    • Won the european cup in hockey for the first time (beating germany in the final )
    • Qualified for the football world cup easily

...and on the GB front, lots of medals at the last olympics.

I wonder why it seems to have turned round?
    Massive funding into sport from lottery (and possibly government I don't know).

Cue "bloody Brown, spending our tax money on sport" comments...

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Agreed. It's the team work that's lacking. Germany has won many trophies wth far inferior players.
    Agreed. Teamwork and discipline. No pandering to players. They were never allowed mobile phones in training in 1966...

Leave a comment:

• Pinto
    replied
    Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
    • Won the ashes
    • Won the european cup in hockey for the first time (beating germany in the final )

Also, in women's football; England is in the Euro 2009 final, to be played today.

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    • Won the ashes

...and on the GB front, lots of medals at the last olympics.

I wonder why it seems to have turned round?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's not a turd though, the line-up of players England have is very impressive; he has to make them work together.
    Agreed. It's the team work that's lacking. Germany has won many trophies wth far inferior players.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I think the next one will be between Spain and Brazil, England will go out in the quarters I think as there are still 4 or 5 better teams in the world. Even Capello can't polish a turd.
    It's not a turd though, the line-up of players England have is very impressive; he has to make them work together.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    yeah but we won the ashes.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I think the next one will be between Spain and Brazil, England will go out in the quarters I think as there are still 4 or 5 better teams in the world. Even Capello can't polish a turd.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    . At least we won't have reports on the WAGS daily shopping trip - Capello doesn't want them around.

Indeed. The atmosphere at the World Cup should be that of a monastic camp.
    Capello should lay out the goal in simple terms: "Win the World Cup" and every sinew and iota of effort and energy should be bent to that task.

I doubt if the over-paid soft-living chavs that constitute the English football team can take the strain though.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    At least we won't have reports on the WAGS daily shopping trip - Capello doesn't want them around.
    They are likely to end up as 'football pundits' on the Living channel ...

Coleen Rooney on the 4-4-2 formation anyone?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    My Brother got a Scotland World Cup '78 bag in, well 1978. After a few weeks the paint flaked off and the logo and underneath was an England 1978 badge.
    There were warehouses full of those, all ready to hit the shops, but England failed to qualify.

Tell him to also check his Esso coin collection - Souness is just Brooking with a moustache scratched on.
    We have to 'go across to the England camp' every 15 minutes so some bint can ask John Terry if Rooney's turd was solid today and other such trivial tripe the English people will become obsessed about.
    Indeed, that all gets on my tits. At least we won't have reports on the WAGS daily shopping trip - Capello doesn't want them around.

Leave a comment:

• sweetandsour
    replied
    Cons: We have to 'go across to the England camp' every 15 minutes so some bint can ask John Terry if Rooney's turd was solid today
    I don't think that they would let valuable information like that get into their opponent's hands.

Leave a comment:

• Evil Hangover
    replied
    I'll tell you what the point is - damn good entertainment of course! Are you too young to remember the comedies of Iran, Costa Rica, Morocco...
    Ah yes, good point. I'm gutted that they couldn't squeeze through last night now. Real shame.

Leave a comment:

• Lithium
    replied
    FFS people we have just qualified for the final stages of the World Cup, with games to spare and not dropping any games!!!! So yeah we may lose a quarter final, semi final etc. but at least we are there to do so!!! COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X