• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dieing to Cut Costs ?"

Collapse

• Menelaus
    replied
    Find somewhere hot and tropical, snuff it, decompose.

Jobs a good 'un.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I can just picture legions of eco-warriors refusing to die untill this green tax is introduced.
    'No expiration without taxation.
    What do we want ?
    To die
    When do we want it ?
    To die'

Now my advice for those who Die
    Declare the Pennies on your Eye
    Cos Im the TaxMan
    And you're working for noone but me ...

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Shouldn't cremations be made illegal or taxed to death (pun intended) due to concerns of Carbon emmisions?
    I can just picture legions of eco-warriors refusing to die untill this green tax is introduced.
    'No expiration without taxation.
    What do we want ?
    To die
    When do we want it ?
    To die'

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Well Tim- some people simply wouldn't be seen dead at their own funeral venue unless the 'happenning ' was at a some swanky exclusive venue.

Even in Death - vanity rules.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 9 September 2009, 12:48.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    The ultimate act of the Ego's vanity - but can you afford it ?

The average cost of dying has soared to £7,098 this year and is expected to rise by another third over the next five years, according to a survey which warns that many bereaved families will struggle to cover all the expenses.

The cost of a "standard" funeral in the UK has risen by 7.2% to £2,733, but additional and often "hidden" costs such as venue hire, catering and flowers can push the overall average cost much higher, the research suggests.
    "Venue hire" FFS.

We have a big family (well we did!) and funerals are well attended, but you don't hire somewhere. You just go back to the deceased relation's house (and no, they aren't large houses).

Who the hell does otherwise?

tim

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I've told my family that I want to donate my body to medical science but they don't seem too keen. Can you insist (pre-death obviously!) or is it like organ donation where you cease to 'own' yourself after you've snuffed it?
    '

If you consider it - why not let others potentially benefit from your dead usless carcass via medical research rather than some grubby funeral parlour profiting by burning or burying you - BTW I wonder what their markup is ?

Certainly it makes no difference to one's status whether you have some flashy funeral service as a final futile gesture to your shoddy little ego - but you could benefit somebody via Medical resreach - or at least give some budding medical student a bit of a laugh.

And you could really save your family a few grand - thats a major consideration - altough if you have a limited company perhaps as director you cculd offset the Funeral costs against Tax ?

So why isnt the Donating your body concept given more publicity ?
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 9 September 2009, 12:42.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Shouldn't cremations be made illegal or taxed to death (pun intended) due to concerns of Carbon emmisions?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I hope my ex is buried and not cremated. I want to dance on her grave.
    Ashes = cat litter?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I hope my ex is buried and not cremated. I want to dance on her grave.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    Donating body to science seems to be relatively simple: contact the medical school when you're about to shake off this mortal coil.
    I've told my family that I want to donate my body to medical science but they don't seem too keen. Can you insist (pre-death obviously!) or is it like organ donation where you cease to 'own' yourself after you've snuffed it?

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Donating body to science seems to be relatively simple: contact the medical school when you're about to shake off this mortal coil.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Are you sure it's not Better waves, or Alfa waves?

I've left instructions to be left out with the bin bags, but, apparently, it's illegal for a corpse to remain on the street for two weeks.
    Fraid not - they were (mainly) the Gamma Ray variety , altough to be fair it was the Gravlity Pulse wave that wreaked the real havoc ... in fact Beltegeuse itself was functioning well till 2010 - thats when we tried to use some of the Gamma Ray energy from Betelegeuse to fuel the Tardis - well it seemed a good idea at the time .

Then a couple of years down the line Betelgeuse sunndely went megasupernova - and -Pop !

The Earth's toast.

It in Ill Wind - it all happened so quickly - and as it really kicked in the wee hours most of you didn't know what hit you

Ironic as the housing and the contract market had really taken off in 2012 - even the SunSpots were abundant.

C'est la vie.

And - what you don't know ...
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 9 September 2009, 12:06.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    As I feel like a zombie most mornings, I think I'll continue on in that vein. Most old IT bods seem to be zombies anyway

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Are you sure it's not Better waves, or Alfa waves?

I've left instructions to be left out with the bin bags, but, apparently, it's illegal for a corpse to remain on the street for two weeks.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    The research estimates that funeral costs will increase by 31% to £3,581 by 2014.

This is not as bad as it might sound given that Earth will be destroyed by Gama Rays from Betelgeuse by 2012 - whoops - I wasnt supposed to mention that ....

What about donating your body to Science - Medical Resreach - anybody know of anyone who has done that ? Whats the cost element - if any ?
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 9 September 2009, 12:06.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X