• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Looking for a change"

Collapse

• Statistician
    replied
    Thanks everyone.
    Numptycorner, I have sent a PM.

regards
    Stat.

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    Originally posted by Statistician
    Hello Everyone,

This is my first post so be nice. I have come here for advice.

I have a few years experience as sys admin in addition to a little experience in C++. I am looking for a change. My interest is in statistical computing.

Is it easy to get into statistical computing for someone with a graduate degree in mathematics (permie or contracting)?

I am good at Matlab. What else should I learn? Are employers willing to train someone in SAS or SPSS?

Best regards
    Sta
    I do stats computing or stats contracts.I know of at least one company in pharms that will train you in SAS from a maths degree for a permie role, after about 2 years of which you can get into contracting. It really depends what industry you want to get into, SAS is the standard in pharms and in finance. Matlab is only really used in academia as far as I know. The Sheffield Hallam course is excellent (and very well though of in industry) if you fancy doing a course first.
    Post me if you want more details.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Learn the in and outs ...
    Ahhh a bit of innie and outie. Fancy a milkplus down the Korova, cojak ?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Go for it lad/lass - there's a serious shortage of people in the IT world who can actually interpret the data they generate from their own code.

Go into interviews with a problem-solving "this is how I can help you make more money" attitude.

Very often the only software you'll need to deal with is Excel (don't laugh; Excel is a powerful and under-rated tool in my view...). Learn the in and outs of it and you'll be away.
    Last edited by cojak; 13 November 2005, 21:24.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Yeah, but Sheffield Hallam? OMG!

Leave a comment:

• ancient
    replied
    I am good at Matlab. What else should I learn? Are employers willing to train someone in SAS or SPSS?

Best regards
    Sta[/QUOTE]

SAS did sponsor students on the MSc in Business Intelligence at Sheffield Hallam University, supported by work placements - contact the University for further details.

If you can handle things like mathematical linear regression, Probability, RSquare etc, then you would love it - neural nets, data mining all that.
    Last edited by ancient; 13 November 2005, 20:47.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    It's always worked for me...
    Works for me too.

You can't go contracting in any field without pretending to have experience...

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Is it easy to get into statistical computing for someone with a graduate degree in mathematics (permie or contracting)?
    You can't go contracting in any field without experience, unless you find a company that's prepared to pay lots of money to someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

Try www.permieuk.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• Statistician
    replied
    Originally posted by stackpole
    Stats? You know about standard deviation and sh1t? Respect.
    Yes I do.

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied
    Stats? You know about standard deviation and sh1t? Respect.

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    Are employers willing to train someone in SAS or SPSS?
    They won't give you the steam off their p*ss!

Anyway, you'll be your own employer if your doing it right.

Leave a comment:

• Statistician
    started a topic Looking for a change

Looking for a change

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post so be nice. I have come here for advice.

I have a few years experience as sys admin in addition to a little experience in C++. I am looking for a change. My interest is in statistical computing.

Best regards
    Sta

Working...
X