• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How long will SY01 last..."

Collapse

• Zippy
    replied

Told you - treat 'em mean etc. Pleased to hear it is going better this week.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Weeeeeeeell,

a brief update for you all (cos I know you care)

I was just called into a project planning meeting to give input on what steps should be in the plan to prevent last week happening again.

Then after the meeting the PM said he was extremely pleased with my progress this week as I have got a lot more done than was expected (I am a legend)

He said he could understand the concerns I raised at the start of the week, and assured me that a more structured working environment was well under way. He was also delighted with the formal testing documents I have delivered as part of the new development work and acknowledged I was producing high quality documentation as well as staying on top of the development even though this was not asked for.

ANNNDDD he invited me for a beer after work.

So this is a huge improvement. Olive branch accepted, full steam ahead.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    No. I say it will take 2 hours to do something, he is hounding me for it after 15 minutes.
    AArrgghhh

I used to have a PM who would do that. Literally 15 minutes after I've started on a piece of work that would take a few hours I would get the rather vague "How's it going?"
    I ended up giving a simple "Fine thanks" reply everytime he asked untill he complained to my department manager about unprofessional behaviour

Despite that he was actually a damn good project manager, he just didn't seem to understand the concept of programmers needing to think about a problem first instead of diving in head first and creating even more issues.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Eerily well.
    Good to see you found time to post on cuk.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    So, how's day 2 of "I AM A CONTRACTOR" going?
    Eerily well.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    So, how's day 2 of "I AM A CONTRACTOR" going?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Torran View Post
    But surely its attention in general you crave.
    life without bullies or numpties getting in the way off an honest decent hard days work.

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    But surely its attention in general you crave.

Good or bad.

Just attention.

I don't have an ignore list, I just stop reading if you get too whiney.

Keep your to yourself or lend some to your colleagues

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Torran View Post
    och I know its nice to help out.

Its the pages and pages of daily whining and wingeing we are objecting to.
    Put me on your ignores list.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    You don't ask them, you tell them that is how long it will take. They won't like it ...

Can't afford a tenner as am unemployable after I thumped my last project manager

For arguments sake SY01 may be a sockie.
    I've been in that situation and it is very, very, very unpleasant. Learned to handle it on my own and if my experience can help anyone then, frankly, I don't give a toss whether SY01 is a sockie or not.
    Not a sockie.

You advice is good, and greatly appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    och I know its nice to help out.

Its the pages and pages of daily whining and wingeing we are objecting to.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    No. I say it will take 2 hours to do something, he is hounding me for it after 15 minutes. I asked to push the go live back 1.5 weeks so we could run proper testing.
    You don't ask them, you tell them that is how long it will take. They won't like it ...

Never a truer word spoken Zips.

Lend us a tenner
    Can't afford a tenner as am unemployable after I thumped my last project manager

For arguments sake SY01 may be a sockie.
    I've been in that situation and it is very, very, very unpleasant. Learned to handle it on my own and if my experience can help anyone then, frankly, I don't give a toss whether SY01 is a sockie or not.

Leave a comment:

• Lithium
    replied
    Originally posted by cupidstunt View Post
    Bring back Wilmslow, this SY01 sockie is just too feeble to be believable.
    Surely they are one and the same? Is this not just Wilmslow in the workplace???

Leave a comment:

• cupidstunt
    replied
    Bring back Wilmslow, this SY01 sockie is just too feeble to be believable.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Standing up to the client - good.

You haven't made unrealistic promises (have you?)
    No. I say it will take 2 hours to do something, he is hounding me for it after 15 minutes. I asked to push the go live back 1.5 weeks so we could run proper testing.

Don't let the team leader wind you up. Pressure - OK, winky knife in the back - not good. He's in trouble and he knows it.
    suityou02 says the same. She also said he sounds like an irritating jumped up little feck. Canny lass that she is.

Do not complain to the boss, even if she asks you to. There are more subtle ways of sticking the knife in.
    Never really been one to put the knife in, just crap at politicking. Way too nice/soft. I'd settle for him being more reasonable. I do think he is way out of his depth though.

It will work out but if it doesn't (and please trust me on this), fck 'em. It's only money.
    Never a truer word spoken Zips.

Lend us a tenner

Leave a comment:

Working...
X