• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Ahem

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ahem"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Was going to post something...

Can't be arsed now.
    If you remember what it was please don't hesitate to post. I'm sure it must have been important.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Being the hired gun supposes you are given some clout.

Take this conversation with the PM for example

PM : "What do you mean there's more problems, why are we hitting problems, we're going live in an hour"

ME: "Sure, but you told me this was passed UAT, and all I had to do was deploy it"

PM: "Yeah but you should look inside what you are deploying, you can't make assumptions it makes us look bad"

ME: "Either is has passed UAT or not, if we have no confidence in the UAT then lets run it again"

PM: "There's no time for that"

ME: "So we have to make some assumptions then"
    Holy crap, am sure I worked with that guy. It didn't end well (for him)

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If the claim that contractors are generally more capable than their permie counterparts is true, shouldn't we expect contractors to be dumped into horrible messes as the "hired gun"?

Provided they are paid accordingly of course... sorting out the whole system doesn't sound like £200/day work for instance. Is the rate worth it SY01?

BTW, why do you want an in to insurance? Simply the money, or is there something about that sector that makes it intrinsically interesting to you?
    Being the hired gun supposes you are given some clout.

Take this conversation with the PM for example

PM : "What do you mean there's more problems, why are we hitting problems, we're going live in an hour"

ME: "Sure, but you told me this was passed UAT, and all I had to do was deploy it"

PM: "Yeah but you should look inside what you are deploying, you can't make assumptions it makes us look bad"

ME: "Either is has passed UAT or not, if we have no confidence in the UAT then lets run it again"

PM: "There's no time for that"

ME: "So we have to make some assumptions then"

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    I used to be a firm believer in the whole "think of the money" thing but having now experienced a job that was driving me mad I've changed my mind. No amount of money is worth feeling like tulip. I kept telling myself I would keep at it, things would get better, look good on the CV etc.

Since I left and started a new gig the difference it's made is obvious even to myself. I'm less irritable, have more energy and I'm happier generally. I'd take a lower rate and happiness any day over feeling rich and miserable.

Not very contractor-like I know, but it works for me.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    If the claim that contractors are generally more capable than their permie counterparts is true, shouldn't we expect contractors to be dumped into horrible messes as the "hired gun"?

Provided they are paid accordingly of course... sorting out the whole system doesn't sound like £200/day work for instance. Is the rate worth it SY01?
    BTW, why do you want an in to insurance? Simply the money, or is there something about that sector that makes it intrinsically interesting to you?
    Day rate not too bad, but could be better.

Rate not worth this amount of crap, no.

>>BTW, why do you want an in to insurance?

I am told that once you have six months solid Lloyds market experience you will never be out of work again. Who wouldn't want that?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    This is not unusual crap if you are a permie. It tends to be worse as a contractor. You'll get used to it - trust me

Leave a comment:

• Lithium
    replied
    or I will chin him.
    After whining about someone taking the pi$$ out of you I find that highly unlikely

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Didn't see an update today... anything new or more of the same?

It sounds like you just stumbled into a bad situation. I'd be asking myself the following questions:

1)How important is it I have work / how easily could I get another contract?
    2)How much do I want to get into the insurance sector?
    3)Do I want to go through a pile of crap now for a future reward?

Exactly that.

1. You never know until you try. Should really be counting my blessings and invoicing merrily.
    2. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOADS
    3. No, but will have to.

To be fair, they are putting measures in place to improve things. What really cocks me off was that a deadline was brought forward 3 weeks to "impress the business" while knowing the processes and environments are shot to tulip. That kind of stupidity is what has dropped us right in the tulip, and I walked into that. I don't think the "PM" will make the same mistake again, or I will chin him.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Didn't see an update today... anything new or more of the same?

It sounds like you just stumbled into a bad situation. I'd be asking myself the following questions:

1)How important is it I have work / how easily could I get another contract?
    2)How much do I want to get into the insurance sector?
    3)Do I want to go through a pile of crap now for a future reward?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Too late!

Is it wine or spirits you're drinking then?
    Kronenbourg. Wrong thread?

Feel totally battered after this week. Just wondered why I am doing this contract. Leave early, get home late, subjected to all sorts of "every 5 minutes hassle me if its done yet even though I said it would take 4 hours" crap.

This is a big leg up in terms of picking up Lloyds insurance markets experience but fook me this is painful. Firefighting every second of the day, not a minute to catch your breath.

I wonder if this is normal for London markets, I don't remember it being so when I worked in finance.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied

Can't be arsed now.
    Too late!

Is it wine or spirits you're drinking then?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    started a topic Ahem

Ahem

Can't be arsed now.

Working...
X