• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Twitter

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Twitter"

Collapse

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Do you know there's one place where this has not happened?

And its the good old tube.

Dead silence all the way for the most part and long may it continue.

I blame northeners. They like to witter and prattle about nothing.
    Pot Kettle Black

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    To each his own, but I like Twitter. By following the right people, by choosing carefully, doing your research, there's nothing like it for staying on top of industry trends and understanding the motives of the top people in your game.

I wouldn't be so quick to write Twitter off just because, like the rest of t'interweb, it's 98% rubbish to 2% brilliance.
    Well said that man, although I suspect the signal to noise ratio is even lower than you suggest. I've made some useful/interesting contacts via Twitter, and managed to blag myself onto the Microsoft BizSpark program via one in particular.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Twitter isn't for everyone, in the same way bulletin boards or blogs aren't. Some people like the sound of their own tone of voice a little too much, others see too much noise to signal, some like to be passive observers - or active facebook/myspace stalkers.

To each his own, but I like Twitter. By following the right people, by choosing carefully, doing your research, there's nothing like it for staying on top of industry trends and understanding the motives of the top people in your game.

I wouldn't be so quick to write Twitter off just because, like the rest of t'interweb, it's 98% rubbish to 2% brilliance.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Twitter is good for business.

That is if your tweets are like a canary, rather than a crow.

HTH

Eh?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Twitter is good for business.

That is if your tweets are like a canary, rather than a crow.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Boudica View Post
    i think it's something like the library i'm in right now, people have lost the ability to be alone with their thoughts and just need to talk or make some kind of pointless expression or fill their minds with rubbish all the flipping time!!! i'm so old...
    You may be old (as am I) but you're completely right, Boudica.

Everyone under 35 seems to think they are so 'interesting' (or ought to be) that we should all follow their every movement 24/7.

When they are not broadcasting torrents of information about nothing, they are downloading or spazzing out on their iPods and mobile phones.

They never stop. There is no silence. No rest from the relentless 'information'.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What did he say?
    Originally posted by David Cameron
    Politicians do have to think about what we say... Too many Twits might make a twat.
    Quite right!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    You don't become the next Google just by getting very rich. Twitter will lose popularity in the same way Facebook/Myspace will, as something else comes along. On the other hand, web-searching is a core feature OF the web rather than something people do ON the web.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Twitter is currently becoming popular, and being valued in the billions of dollars, because of it's possibilities as a real time search engine for news and trends.

If they can find a good way to monetise it (corporate accounts, advertising, micro-payments) then it *may* become the next Google.

*shudder*
    That all sounds horribly like marketing babble, apologies, and I'm a dev as well!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Dave went up in my estimation for that unguarded comment and I suspect I am not alone in this.
    What did he say?

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied

Me, me, me, me.

I do it.

Well, sometimes I do.

I even have followers

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Not me.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Boudica View Post
    i think it's something like the library i'm in right now, people have lost the ability to be alone with their thoughts and just need to talk or make some kind of pointless expression or fill their minds with rubbish all the flipping time!!! i'm so old...
    Do you know there's one place where this has not happened?

And its the good old tube.

Dead silence all the way for the most part and long may it continue.

I blame northeners. They like to witter and prattle about nothing.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Yeah - Twitter is a big TPD for the masses.
    You mean I invented twittering?
    Gah! Where's me royalties? mad

Leave a comment:

• Boudica
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X