• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Dumped right in it

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dumped right in it"

Collapse

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I thought you ate it, but thanks for that
    Sourpuss

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I thought you ate it, but thanks for that

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Breakfast at your house again
    What is this obsession with butt hole pleasures?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Breakfast at your house again

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    I think I prefer your Wilmslow persona - it's more believable....
    Knob

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Deployment successful. Code doesn't work though. It looks like UAT (that happened before I got there) was a load of cack.

And it's my fault for not looking "inside the code I was deploying", "I need to tighten up and stop making assumptions".

I offered to do a code review and re run UAT for them. "We haven't got time now, just get it live"

For standing my ground this was deemed "a rant" that should have been conducted in a side office, and was me being defensive.

My conclusion is he is getting his nuts knawed off from above, is tuliping his pants and does not know what he is doing, and wants to appear in control by blaming others.

Seriously, if you bawl me out in the office in front of everyone, you have to expect me to construct a counter argument. This is not a rant but a reply.

I think I prefer your Wilmslow persona - it's more believable....

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Deployment successful. Code doesn't work though. It looks like UAT (that happened before I got there) was a load of cack.

And it's my fault for not looking "inside the code I was deploying", "I need to tighten up and stop making assumptions".

I offered to do a code review and re run UAT for them. "We haven't got time now, just get it live"

For standing my ground this was deemed "a rant" that should have been conducted in a side office, and was me being defensive.

My conclusion is he is getting his nuts knawed off from above, is tuliping his pants and does not know what he is doing, and wants to appear in control by blaming others.

Seriously, if you bawl me out in the office in front of everyone, you have to expect me to construct a counter argument. This is not a rant but a reply.

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    Well done.

Try to drop in a couple of GMail comments....

'Tulip, it could have been like GMail'
    'At least we didn't make the papers on the same day as GMail'.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Well I was in a 7:30. No other f***** was.
    Did you tell them you're a Sp*rs fan by any chance?

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    He's my hero....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Good work

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Release plan with the support team.
    All databases backed up.
    Scheduled backups of all databases on dev and uat to run daily at 6am.
    Scheduled purge of all backups > 1 week old (owing to lack of disk space)

There were no backups in place when I started

I have to be careful to remember to make all this the bosses idea. Feeling rather pleased with myself, and they have pushed the go live back to Monday so we can do some testing in an orderly fashion.

All is well again.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    ****s
    Yep. ****s.

I have been on the receiving end of that at BT many years ago. Stood up when I got in 90 minutes early.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Well I was in a 7:30. No other f***** was.

And there was an email in my mail box saying the release has been pulled.

I totally agree with the decision to pull the release, that should have been made from the moment the UAT environment was screwed. What irks me is calling me in for 7:30am, then not bothering to turn up and cancelling the release without telling me. Total lack of professional courtesy.

****s

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I didn't realise you'd gone permie.
    Hmm, I'd call it unprofessional for anyone to breeze to his desk at 9 and swan off at 5 on the dot when everything's broken. The contractor's meant to be the one who comes in and fixes it all - when the situation demands it that means working damn hard.

Having said that, if SY's rate is per-hour it's fair to kick up a fuss "I'm sorry, how much is this costing you every day it's not fixed? And you want me to shave £xx off by working unpaid?"
    But if it's a day rate, short periods of long days are part of the job IMO.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X