• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Any (sensible) advice...."

Collapse

• hyperD
    replied
    Go to the Aberdeen docks area and find the roughest pub you can. In a nice Home Counties accent, order a Piña Colada.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    My cousin worked there for a few years and he said it wasn't that bad (if you don't mind getting pissed every night)
    How long have you been working for the Aberdeen Tourist Board?

Nomadd

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    Thanks for all the replies, the quality is as variable as I expected from this forum

I'm actually trying to stay out of the pubs if possible, drinking on my own usually gets me into bother of one sort or another. Plus I need a relatively clear head while I'm here, big project go-live on Monday.

The worst part is, just to add insult to injury, all you lot down South have got Monday off while I'll be slaving away.

So the NickFitz's "walk on the beach" suggestion wins the mystery prize... one hotel bathrobe on its way, only slightly used.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Sensible advice? On here...

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    My cousin worked there for a few years and he said it wasn't that bad (if you don't mind getting pissed every night)

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Leave.

Nomadd

(Well, you did say "sensible" advice... )
    WHS - and, geographically speaking, I'm from practically around the corner!

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Tensai View Post
    on what to do when stranded in aberdeen for a few days? .
    Leave.

Nomadd

(Well, you did say "sensible" advice... )

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    There's an airport, and a railway station.

Glasgow's a good city, Edinburgh's comparably speaking OK.

Inverness is my home town - if you don't mind concrete then it's lovely.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Pray

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Some links:

Scottish Tourist Board site

Wikipedia has a couple of suggestions in the Culture section.

The Aberdeen HQ site has suggestions for tourist attractions.

When I visit somewhere new, I start with the tourist leaflets in the hotel.. From them I find the nearest Tourist Information Office. I try to get there as soon as possible and ask if there are either Blue Badge Guides; there is at least one for Aberdeen. I enjoy a guided walk around the best sites; it is usually £5 or so and 3 hours very well spent. I also ask if there is an open top bus tour; these are often expensive but a great way to find your bearings around a new city very quickly.

Sorry I have no first hand experience: I have never been to Aberdeen. (It is on my list of places to visit). But I HTH.

PS Do you have a copy of the Good Beer Guide?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    While in the pub don't get into any kind of rounds with offshore oilmen, your liver and head will hate you for days if you do.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Work late, then go down the pub, then sleep. Omit the work bit if necessary.

If you like the open air (i.e. a force nine gale and torrential rain coming off the North Sea) then there's quite a pleasant walk northwards up the beach from Bridge of Don: head down the path from the end of Donmouth Road.

I used to work for a company based in Aberdeen and they'd drag me up there for a few days at a time. I hope never to go there again

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Linky

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    started a topic Any (sensible) advice....

Any (sensible) advice....

Last edited by Tensai; 29 August 2009, 19:28.

Working...
X