• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Police being proactive for once"

Collapse

• badgerpig
    replied
    Pathetic

Another great example of effective community policing

What did they charge him with, he didnt actually damage any cars?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by George Parr View Post
    Recordable offence (offences carrying a possible prison sentence) cautions are recorded in the Names File database of the Police National Computer (PNC) which is searched when CRB checks are carried out.

Crime Management, or Crime Recording Systems are usually Force (as opposed to national) level systems used to collate statistics and provide Home Office returns and intelligence patterns and may also contain such information.

I re-iterate that accepting a caution is a formal admission of guilt, it is not a a trivial matter (and should not be confused with a ticking off by Plod) and it may have consequences for your career.
    I will say again "Seeing as I wrote the system I think I should know."

Half the people that I worked with had cautions from the police and we could all see them in the CMS, it was the source of constant jokes, but they never appeared in our criminal history.

Leave a comment:

• George Parr
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    True, the cautions go on a different system, usually called the crime management system. All a caution really is is a reminder to the police to do you if you have done your misdemeanor before.
    Recordable offence (offences carrying a possible prison sentence) cautions are recorded in the Names File database of the Police National Computer (PNC) which is searched when CRB checks are carried out.

Crime Management, or Crime Recording Systems are usually Force (as opposed to national) level systems used to collate statistics and provide Home Office returns and intelligence patterns and may also contain such information.

I re-iterate that accepting a caution is a formal admission of guilt, it is not a a trivial matter (and should not be confused with a ticking off by Plod) and it may have consequences for your career.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Depends which bit you look at. Coppers get to see your entire history, ever. CRB checks don't always show everything.
    True, the cautions go on a different system, usually called the crime management system. All a caution really is is a reminder to the police to do you if you have done your misdemeanor before.

Leave a comment:

• George Parr
    replied
    That's codswollop mostly. Yes, you will have a criminal record, but unless you've been cautioned for assault / something violent it won't stop you from getting a shotgun cert.
    It is not codswallop, it depends on the licensing officer.

Even if a person has not themselves been convicted of an offence for which they have served a term of imprisonment, convictions or cautions for crimes involving violence, dishonesty or a disregard for public safety will be taken into consideration in the assessment of their suitability to possess firearms, as will any association with known criminals.
    Source: Countryside Alliance

If a person who has recently been cautioned for attempted Criminal Damage were to apply / re-apply for a Firearms Certificate this could be used as a reason to deny issue.

Link

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    The troble is that people don't always realise that they are then 'criminals' and the offence will show on a CRB check so they won't get a shotgun certificate
    I'm not sure blind people should get shotgun certificates...

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I can assure you that cautions do not appear on your criminal history. Seeing as I wrote the system I think I should know.
    Depends which bit you look at. Coppers get to see your entire history, ever. CRB checks don't always show everything.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    The troble is that people don't always realise that they are then 'criminals' and the offence will show on a CRB check so they won' get a shotgun certificate, ne permitted to work with children etc.
    That's codswollop mostly. Yes, you will have a criminal record, but unless you've been cautioned for assault / something violent it won't stop you from getting a shotgun cert.

Likewise, very few offences preclude you from working with children forever.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I wonder why the filth get called pigs?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    The troble is that people don't always realise that they are then 'criminals' and the offence will show on a CRB check so they won' get a shotgun certificate, ne permitted to work with children etc.
    I can assure you that cautions do not appear on your criminal history. Seeing as I wrote the system I think I should know.

Leave a comment:

• George Parr
    replied
    A police caution will not go on your criminal history.
    Oh yes it will

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Yes, it doesn't result in a criminal conviction but it does go on the police database (and the sex offenders register if applicable) so probably just as bad for most people.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Hmm...

This website seems to offer good advice.

Don't think I'd sign anything if I didn't agree with it...

We strongly recommend that you:

1. make "no comment" to all questions
    2. don't write a statement
    3. don't sign a statement written by the police
    4. don't sign any police book

...until you have seen a solicitor
    Last edited by cojak; 28 August 2009, 10:40.

Leave a comment:

• George Parr
    replied
    You get a police caution from the police station. You probably have to sign for it.
    Yes, is is a formal procedure, you admit to the offence when you sign it. One more cleared up crime in the stats, everyone happy.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    ..but having accepted the caution means that you accepted that you were behaving in a way to warrant that caution.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X