• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Been had by a cowboy plumber"

Collapse

• Flubster
    replied
    Originally posted by bellymonster View Post
    I'm going to give trading standards a call and see what the best course of action is but he's not getting anymore money until the job is finished.

The thing is, I really don't want him to bodge it further because I get the impression he has no idea how to put it right.

I'd prefer to get someone else to put it right and knock the cost off what I owe him.
    Legally, you have to give the originally guy a reasonable chance to rectify the problem. Give him a date by which you expect this to be completed, confirming that this is still part of the original work and will not incurr an extra charge on your part. If, after this, he still hasn't completed the work satisfactorily, then you can get someone else in to complete the work.

Leave a comment:

• bellymonster
    replied
    I'm going to give trading standards a call and see what the best course of action is but he's not getting anymore money until the job is finished.

The thing is, I really don't want him to bodge it further because I get the impression he has no idea how to put it right.

I'd prefer to get someone else to put it right and knock the cost off what I owe him.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Offer to provide some free technical consultancy on helping to fix his home computer / laptop if he finishes off the job.

(I've yet to meet a member of the non-IT public who hasn't managed to pooch up their own PC one way or another)

Then when he drops it off, and leaves, get to work.

Being a builder (you know what I mean), I've no doubt the system is infected with serious amount of severe pron....

People get embarassed by things like that....

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    Looks like it was an administration error, the original quote is what I owe.

Unfortunately his work is sheeeeite and I have an unusable shower.
    There are big gaps between the tiles and the ceiling, same thing between the tray and the floor, and generaly a untidy job.

When questioned he just said 'Oh you'll need to finish those bits off".
    WTF!

So I still have a fight on my hands
    Dont pay him until you are satisfied that he has finished the job to the correct standard, then just pay him the quoted amount!

If he has any problems with that then tell him to take you to court - at which point you have a written quote for the amount you have paid him.

He's unlikely to take you to court anyway as he is clearly ripping you off.

Make sure you have a sh###tty stick that you can chase him down the road with. I hope you're bigger than him lol

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied

There are big gaps between the tiles and the ceiling, same thing between the tray and the floor, and generaly a untidy job.

WTF!

So I still have a fight on my hands.
    So don't pay him until it's sorted then. If he starts demanding money with menaces then get the old bill on him.

Lesson for next time, get references!

Leave a comment:

• dinker
    replied
    Never trust a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Plumber
    replied
    Just been had by a dodgy plumber.

He's fitted a new shower and not done agood job at all, on top of that his bill has leapt by £1000. Apparently the quote he gave me did not include part !?!?!

Suggestions as to how I cripple the barsteward.....
    Um, I don't know how to break this to you, but it is usually the ladies that order my services because they get a bit of an extra performance in addition to the plumbing, you know what I mean?

I don't normally get bookings from blokes but it takes all-sorts and its not my place to judge, so a job is a job.

Leave a comment:

• bellymonster
    replied

WTF!

So I still have a fight on my hands.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    But he reckons the 1440 was for labour only. He was basically there 2.5 days so thats 20 hours which means he's charging 72 quid an hour.
    £576 per day for a three day gig in London? The robbing b@st@rd! Doesn't he know rates are down at the moment?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Just been had by a dodgy plumber.
    Sounds like Brokeback Mountain meets Super Mario Bros.

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied
    Just ask him for a breakdown of the time - if he confirms he's charging that, say its unreasonable and you're not going to pay it. It won't stand up in court if he gave you unclear estimate.

Also, make sure you're bigger than him...

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Lots of buttock cleavage is generally a sign of a cowboy plumber.

Leave a comment:

• LostInBrussels
    replied
    Where are you?

It sounds like a lot of money, but it's not unusual, in my experience, for plumbers in London to charge 80 gbp per hour.

They also say a job is going to take 3 days only to finish up in 1 day. But since they quoted you for the job, you pay up.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    Did he have some mates round too, one of them dressed up like a red indian chief?
    Christ on Um bike! it is um heap big cowboy job.

Leave a comment:

• GCR99
    replied
    should have done it yourself, these things are easy if you research them on t'internet. then it's all FREE! (apart from materials)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X