• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Double Glazing price /recommendation"

Collapse

• simos
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    Hi people,

I am about to get my double glazing don in white PVC with Georgian bars

This if for 7 windows, 1 door and 1 patio/french door.I have been quoted £5500 by britelite and £4500 by Anglian

Just wanted to know if anyone had any cooments on these two firms and what price they did similar amount of windows/doors done lately

cheers

css_jay99
    i have installed my 6 windows and a door for £2500 with nice service from a nice person. PM me if you want
    Thank you

Leave a comment:

• worzelGummidge
    replied
    We had our Bristol Victorian terrace re-windowed (is that a word?) about eight years ago. Funds were tight and we had to get all of the windows done because the replaced windows were falling out. We used a company with the same name as a large mountain at a cost of about £9k. The windows are pants and so bad that we had a full refund.
    We are now looking at replacing these nasty cheap wonky windows with hardwood. The Upvc sash ones are Ok (if they worked) but they just don't look right in a Victorian house.

Leave a comment:

• dinker
    replied
    Fensa (Fenestration Self Assessment) just means that the building inspector doesn`t need to come round and certify the windows to building standards.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Get the work done by a local company THAT HAS BEEN TRADING FOR YEARS.
    Double-glazing companies are notorious for going out of business after short periods of time.

Get down the library, whip out the microfisches, and look at the adverts in the Gateshead Gazette (or whatever your area is) in 1992 for double glazing companies that were trading back then.

Also google their names to see if any tulip comes up on them of course...

Leave a comment:

• downsouth
    replied
    think urself lucky you dont live in a listed building, just got a bill for £5.5K for 2 sash windows

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    I had 4 qiute large windows done in PVC with georgian bars by Coral Windows about 3 years ago.

Great service, nice job, very neat and tidy. £3200.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Muttley08 View Post
    A nice house can be ruined by plastic windows - admittedly, it depends on the house, but an old house with plastic windows probably says a lot about the inhabitants...

And we're contractors...spend what you earn you tight gits!
    If you say so...

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Ohh FFS.

Yes wood is nicer but it won't recoup the extra cost in a sale and it needs maintaining.

And as mentioned before what the flip have windows got to do with tattoo's and burberry caps?
    A nice house can be ruined by plastic windows - admittedly, it depends on the house, but an old house with plastic windows probably says a lot about the inhabitants...

And we're contractors...spend what you earn you tight gits!

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Muttley08 View Post
    Get wooden windows and doors...plastic is very chav...doesn't last as long (assuming you maintain it), and adds value to your house as it looks a LOT better
    Ohh FFS.

Yes wood is nicer but it won't recoup the extra cost in a sale and it needs maintaining.

And as mentioned before what the feck have windows got to do with tattoo's and burberry caps?

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied
    Get wooden windows and doors...plastic is very chav...doesn't last as long (assuming you maintain it), and adds value to your house as it looks a LOT better

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Depends on the service you get from them. At least with a local firm if anything goes wrong you know where to find them and where to go to shout at them. This tends to focus minds a little more on customer service / satisfaction. UNless there is no-one local who can do the job for reasonable price I wouldnt touch any of the national DG firms.
    I just had a look at yell.com for local firms and these is what i found
    1) cross checked addresses to googlemap/streetview photo's and they are just ordinary residental houses. they are Fensa registered ....but...
    2) others with trading shops, I called them to ask what frames&windows they use and i was given names which did not have much internet presence or seem to be at the cheap end of the market.

I asked my neigbours but all seem to have used big companies in generall.

I was trying to schedule the work in asap as I have guests on holiday staying with me. This saves me having to stay at home loosing on my daily rate while window is installed

allready had a call from Anglian but told them i was too busy to talk

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    that certainly is cheap!

I assume that if I can get the Anlian quote down to around £3500, then that should be a good deal?
    Depends on the service you get from them. At least with a local firm if anything goes wrong you know where to find them and where to go to shout at them. This tends to focus minds a little more on customer service / satisfaction. UNless there is no-one local who can do the job for reasonable price I wouldnt touch any of the national DG firms.

Leave a comment:

• rpgpgmr1
    replied
    Whoever you go with , make sure the guarantee is Insurance backed ( who is the underwriter ) and NOT just a guarantee provided by the selling company. 'Cos if they go ....so does the guarantee.
    Everyone is hung up on FENSA but when you call them it refers to the GLASS - not the frames/workmanship !

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Definately check out the local options. We had 11 windows and 1 door done for around £3000 using a local firm ( but then we are "oop north" ). The nationals wanted twice that. FENSA certified with a 10 year insurance backed guarentee.

No hard sell, one visit, measure up, choose the style and quote us a price.

Happy for us to shop around and get back to them.

that certainly is cheap!

I assume that if I can get the Anlian quote down to around £3500, then that should be a good deal?

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Hardwood is more environmentaly sound than plastic

Leave a comment:

Working...
X