• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Statistics Question"

Collapse

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Ah, good old statistics.

Just make it like, like everyone else does.

No one will ever know.

Make sure to prefix the answers with something like :

"In a recent red-brick University scientific study, rigorous analytical testing concluded that..blah blah blah"

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    whs

i was going to have a go at this today but then stuff got in the way. i might be able have a look tomorrow afternoon.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Badger View Post
    I have a system that generates a linear trend value based on a single array of inputs.
    Do you have any additional data points that might help with determining what is going on?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    You could have solved that in under two minutes by plotting it by hand on a piece of paper.
    The plot thickens ..

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    maybe but it's not right, starting point is 10, then 5 etc.
    In which case it is not linear and the answer is a trinomial as above:
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Input = x
    Output = y

y = -0.0213x^3 + 0.88x^2 - 10.267x + 42.5
    I am 99.7632% confident you have the 5 and 10 the wrong way round.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    maybe but it's not right, starting point is 10, then 5 etc.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    You could have solved that in under two minutes by plotting it by hand on a piece of paper.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I have a system that generates a linear trend value based on a single array of inputs.

Inputs

The outputs it gives me are:
    Hang on. Shouldn't this be:
    Inputs

y = 0.8x + 2.5

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Input = x
    Output = y

y = -0.0213x^3 + 0.88x^2 - 10.267x + 42.5

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    replied
    Thanks, the OLS seems plausible (if wikipedia is to be believed)

I need to manually create this in Excel, using Excel's built in functions isn't going to work, nor are any add-ins.

So I'm assuming:

Y X
    1 10
    2 5
    3 15
    4 20

I can kind of fudge the first value of 6.5 as (1+10)/2 + 1, but that's where I get stuck!

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Good point. Think there is an Excel add in you need to instal for curvefits.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    you want to replace the system by building your own? excel has some simple versions you can use as a starting point.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Sounds like a curve fitted to OLS.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Probably but I never bother.

I could have answered this easily once but forgotten. It appears to be a linear curve fit assuming equi spaced intervals. Look up "Least Squares" method and use it to fit straight line, y=your inputs, x=1,2,3,4.

PS With so few points hard to be sure exactly what equation used. Could try all sorts pof eqauion with least squares curve fitting orders if that don't work exactly.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 26 August 2009, 20:57.

Leave a comment:

• Badger
    started a topic Statistics Question

Statistics Question

Inputs

The outputs it gives me are:

I've no way of getting to see the actual calculation the system uses for this, so, that's my question - how do I manually calculate the output figures?

Should this be posted in Technical?

Cheers

Working...
X