• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "why the zig zag approach over tower bridge then waterloo bridge into heathrow?"

Collapse

• xchaotic
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    I often wonder another sharp right near waterloo bridge/millenium wheel before eventually straightening up for the landing approach?
    They're just positioning themselves to fly over my roof with the loudest possible sound...

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    When we entered the Lambourne stack the map display said we were approx 35 miles from destination, during the S manouvre I think it was about 20 miles
    The initial left turn is made at LAM D11 which is 25 nm (29 miles out) followed by a right turn onto the localiser at BNN D19 16 nm (18 miles out).

The Initial Approach Procedures chart explains it all.

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Flubster View Post
    Isn't it to make terrorist ground-to-air missile attempts a bit trickier?
    Stinger would certainly be able to out-turn a 747!

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    No good for a quick getaway though, unless they jumped on a speedboat..
    Certainly not able to get a 747 into LCY!

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    It would be easier to get a plane approaching london city airport (not a 747 though)
    No good for a quick getaway though, unless they jumped on a speedboat..

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Probably not, but crawling along in a straight line makes a 747 a very easy target. I live near Southampton airport and on more than one occassion, I've wondered why that arab looking gentleman has a large pipe resting on his shoulder pointing towards a pond-hopper.
    It would be easier to get a plane approaching london city airport (not a 747 though)

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Probably not, but crawling along in a straight line makes a 747 a very easy target. I live near Southampton airport and on more than one occassion, I've wondered why that arab looking gentleman has a large pipe resting on his shoulder pointing towards a pond-hopper.
    Probably just enjoying a bit of cultural smoking ...

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Can't see that being very effective

Now everyone look out of the window. Oooh we're all going to die ....

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Can't see that being very effective

Now everyone look out of the window. Oooh we're all going to die ....

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    I often wonder when flying into Heathrow, what is this zig zag left hard turn
    Making sure the hydralics still work

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    "The zig-zag is to permit traffic to be sequenced into the "circuit". A similar procedure exists off BIG to the south. When things are quiet LAM traffic can leave the VOR on a SW track for a straight-in on westerlies. On easterlies traffic which would be going round in the hold on westerlies can be on the downwind leg for the 09s. Track distances from LAM are around 35+ miles on westerlies and 50+ miles on easterlies but there is more room on easterlies to have more off LAM all at the same FL and 3nm apart."

whatever that means

source
    When we entered the Lambourne stack the map display said we were approx 35 miles from destination, during the S manouvre I think it was about 20 miles

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    Ah so I was in Lambourne and its an S shape - I don't remember going quite as far as the M1 though, I think it was a much smaller S - maybe due to lighter air traffic at that time.

I've noticed even if there is no stack the approach still does a tight S.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    These things are done in order to annoy as many people as possible. Most of the large corporate and public sector budgets are spent on research in order to maximise annoyance among the general public.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Many years ago, I practised the racetrack holding pattern on the CIT NDB at Cranfield for my instrument rating. I'll have to dig out the old charts...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X