• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Fridge Freezer

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fridge Freezer"

Collapse

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    "As far as I can tell this is THE most boring purchase Ive ever researched but nonetheless I thought I'd do the research just the same as other purchases just in case I miss out getting a bargain."

Buying carpet is the most boring purchase you will ever need to research...
    You've never bought a washing machine then?

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    I've owned a Smeg for 8 years. It has a really bad reputation (door seals going, compressor packing up, style over substance basically), but my one is still running!

Still, if you've got the room and going to blow a grand on a Smeg, you could always go for a big American Maytag with chilled water and ice on tap. thats the one I wil buy when my Smeg finally packs up:

http://www.maytag.co.uk/ProductPages/refrigeration.aspx

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    Originally posted by Boudica View Post
    smeg

or did someone already say this...
    Yes

Leave a comment:

• Boudica
    replied
    smeg

or did someone already say this...

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    "As far as I can tell this is THE most boring purchase Ive ever researched but nonetheless I thought I'd do the research just the same as other purchases just in case I miss out getting a bargain."

Buying carpet is the most boring purchase you will ever need to research...
    Last edited by kaiser78; 25 August 2009, 12:07. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Our BEKO does alright...so far. I like the fridge section is above the freezer section, Though wish the freezer bit was larger. I can't recall the last time I saw a non frost-free fridge. They still make them like that?

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    OK, seriously, make sure you a fridge/freezer that has two compressors. Most have just one compressor which means that a single fault affects BOTH fridge and freezer. Twin compressors means that a single failure only affects EITHER the fridge OR the freezer, not both. You need to look hard for these machines, but they can be found. The blokes in the shops think you're nuts because most people look at the front and inside of fridge/freezers. I am only interested in looking round the back to see if there's two compressors or not!

Secondly, Leibherr and Miele are the same thing. Liebherr supply Miele but because almost nobody has heard of Liebherr, they cost a lot less. We have Liebherr fridge and freezer (seperate units) and can solidly recommend them. The fridge thermostat failed a week out of the warranty period and Liebherr refused the goodwill claim. However, a local fridge bloke fixed it for me for about £25 with a generic off the shelf fridge thermostat, so no problem really. Definitely seriously consider Liebherr.

By the way, their main line of business is making cranes! HTH.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    in my experience size, price, efficiency and manufacturer discard most. leaving 3 options. of those 1 won't be in stock, another will only be available as ex-display leaving the third as the one you take home.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    my chin is sore from the rubbing..

i dont know, they all look the same give or take very little.. I'm going to take gf chef with me next time and tell her to pick, the Which? website is very useful though..

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    that's exactly my plans this evening
    and?

Leave a comment:

• Nexxy
    replied
    Size: doesnt matter

Fraid it does old boy

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    Do what I did - take an empty milk container of the size you most commonly - use - in my case a 4 pint & check it will fit the door pocket.

It surprised me how many top brands failed this basic test and ..ahem I opted for the slightly chavy Beko

HTH

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    I think chef should then get down to his nearest fridgefreezersrus store and have a good old chin rubbing experience.

Leave a comment:

• bekarovka
    replied
    And when you have halof of an ox and two dead pigs in your freezer and the power goes down? I guess UPS will do the trick? Otherwise you stand to lose a lot of money. We get lots of outages here.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    ... but 20 years ago I got dragged into doing this exercise for a former gf, ...
    What I learnt in that exercise is that the electrical chains that advertise "if you find the same product elsewhere for a better price we'll refund the difference" have their own models, so you won't find exactly the same model anywhere else.

The best price I found which met the specs was from a small Asian shop were I could negotiate with the owner, and delivery was free.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X