• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Important scientific finding"

Collapse

• eliquant
    replied
    I read Max Brook's (son of Mel Brooks movie director) "World War Z" which describes the world after a zombie holocaust through a series of interviews with various people. One describes the battle of 'Yonkers' were all the U.S. military made a high tech stand with their advanced weapons, it was a screw up, artillery just shredded the creatures with their brains intact and they all kept advancing and the yanks all died. (this book is soon to be made into a movie by Brad Pitts production company).

You just need excellent marksmen and people supplying them with magazines of ammo just in time, "you got to shoot them in the head".

Incidently he also wrote "The Zombie Survival Guide" which looks like fun.

Some guy made a zombie movie recently named "Colin" for next to nothing (i.e. people doing him some big favours).

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8206280.stm

If zombies actually existed, an attack by them would lead to the collapse of civilisation unless dealt with quickly and aggressively.

That is the conclusion of a mathematical exercise carried out by researchers in Canada.

They say only frequent counter-attacks with increasing force would eradicate the fictional creatures.

The scientific paper is published in a book - Infectious Diseases Modelling Research Progress.

Meanwhile, India and China get their researchers working on space travel, weapons research, alternative energy, pharmaceuticals, IT services and manufacturing.
    Sometimes "frivolous" research pays dividends longer term.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 20 August 2009, 21:27.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    They also smell pretty bad so can't exactly sneek up on you. They would have to raid an Airwick factory first.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    This is such a load of tulipe!!!!

Zombies would NOT bo able to wipe out the human race!!!

a) They're too slow - they can't really kill us unless they corner us.
    b) They can't use weapons -we can!

We'd definitely be able to knack them!! FACT!
    You over-estimate the average chav. They'd just stand there gobbing off at the zombies until they were bitten.

Also, most town centre streets are littered with unconscious bodies once the clubs tip out. They'd all get chomped & converted.

Then there's the permies who do not have permission to leave their desk.

I suspect plenty would be doome BRRRAAAINNNZZZZZZZ

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Zombies v2.0 can run. They've been upgraded since Resident Evil.

We're doomed

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    This is such a load of sh1te!!!!

Zombies would NOT bo able to wipe out the human race!!!

a) They're too slow - they can't really kill us unless they corner us.
    b) They can't use weapons -we can!

We'd definately be able to knack them!! FACT!

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    If zombies actually existed, an attack by them would lead to the collapse of civilisation unless dealt with quickly and aggressively.

That is the conclusion of a mathematical exercise carried out by researchers in Canada.
    There's a lot of bored people in Canada, according to the other thread.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    Oh, right. I thought he must be Australian.

"G'day, my name is Dr Robert Smith?"

"Nice to meet you, mate?"

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    On his university web page, the mathematics professor at Ottawa University says the question mark distinguishes him from Robert Smith, lead singer of rock band The Cure.
    Oh, right. I thought he must be Australian.

"G'day, my name is Dr Robert Smith?"

"Nice to meet you, mate?"

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Professor Robert Smith? (the question mark is part of his surname and not a typographical mistake) and colleagues wrote: "We model a zombie attack using biological assumptions based on popular zombie movies.

"We introduce a basic model for zombie infection and illustrate the outcome with numerical solutions."

On his university web page, the mathematics professor at Ottawa University says the question mark distinguishes him from Robert Smith, lead singer of rock band The Cure.

I can see where the confusion might arise. An interesting take on a serious subject though ...

Leave a comment:

• smiff
    replied
    I, for one, welcome a zombie apocalypse. My rate might go up in the world rebuilding process.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    started a topic Important scientific finding

Important scientific finding

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8206280.stm

They say only frequent counter-attacks with increasing force would eradicate the fictional creatures.

The scientific paper is published in a book - Infectious Diseases Modelling Research Progress.

Meanwhile, India and China get their researchers working on space travel, weapons research, alternative energy, pharmaceuticals, IT services and manufacturing.

Working...
X