• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: V Festival 2009

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "V Festival 2009"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Used to be people turned up to festivals in shorts t shirt and doc Martins and not prepared like the Boy Scouts. But then the middles classes and trendies started going.
    There is only one essential ....Ear Plugs! otherwise you get no sleep because some group of twats will be shouting "Timmeh" "Whatssssup" or whatever the latest 'funny' is.
    I know what you mean that's why I stayed here the last 3 times I went to V, just got the bus from outside the train station across the road.

I did the hardcore festivaling at Reading and Glastonbury in the early 90's, the IOW is the only major one I've camped at in recent years and that's probably the most middle class of the lot.

We're thinking about doing Camp Bestival next year as it’s organised with young families in mind, anyone been?

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Will be going next weekend and really don't know what to expect as I am a 'festival virgin'!

Will be camping with friends and have never camped either so would welcome any advice regarding practicalities from anyone who has also camped at a festival.

i.e. what to/not to take, clothing, timings etc.
    (For example, I presume you don't bother with jim jams and end up kipping in what you are wearing).

Initial thoughts are that I will need:

Tent (sorted)
    Sleeping bag (to buy - recommendations welcome)
    Air bed to protect my dodgy back (to buy)
    Fold up chair/stool (sorted)
    Small stove for tea (sorted)
    One change of clothes
    Wellies (to buy)
    Toiletries
    I would take a torch if I were you. You will probably want more spare clothes.

I would also take some bottled water - because you will need it if it is a hot day, and it also gives you something to piss into during the night if you can't be arsed to leave your tent.

If you are lucky the weather will be glorious and the ground will be dry and firm.

If you are unlucky it will be a nightmare.

You will also need ganja or speed depending on whether you plan to spend your time being mellow or manic.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Will be going next weekend and really don't know what to expect as I am a 'festival virgin'!

Will be camping with friends and have never camped either so would welcome any advice regarding practicalities from anyone who has also camped at a festival.

i.e. what to/not to take, clothing, timings etc.
    (For example, I presume you don't bother with jim jams and end up kipping in what you are wearing).

Initial thoughts are that I will need:

Tent (sorted)
    Sleeping bag (to buy - recommendations welcome)
    Air bed to protect my dodgy back (to buy)
    Fold up chair/stool (sorted)
    Small stove for tea (sorted)
    One change of clothes
    Wellies (to buy)
    Toiletries
    Used to be people turned up to festivals in shorts t shirt, doc Martins and some skins. Certainly not prepared like the Boy Scouts. But then the middles classes and trendies started going.
    There is only one essential ....Ear Plugs! otherwise you get no sleep because some group of twats will be shouting "Timmeh" "Whatssssup" or whatever the latest 'funny' is.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 14 August 2009, 12:06.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    They don't make them like they used to. Some day you'll understand that.
    i got it 3 weeks ago.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    I would recommend this bad boy....

http://www.halvin.co.uk/junk/trolley.jpg

You can get it from B&Q for about £12 and its awesome. Sack Trolley with inflated tyres are the best ones you can get. If its muddy etc it will get through it no problems.

Had mine for years and has done Glastonbury and V Festival several times. It did Glasto 2007 which is probably the worse conditions ever for a festival
    I've got the exact same one too, cost me a tenner from proper job.

I managed to get a 5 man tent, 48 cans, 2 wine boxes, 2 sleeping bags, portable shower (pump up weed killer bottle) and cloths + wellies for two on mine, just as well cos' the car park to camp area at the IOW festival seemed like 5 miles.

I've got a baby now so going on a North Devon beach holiday in a few weeks, surfing and kite buggying is the new rock 'n' roll for me.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    First festival season: 1970.

Hollywood: Grateful Dead.
    Isle of Wight: Jimi Hendrix.
    Bath: Led Zeppelin.

I don't surge to the front for any living bands now.
    And then the music died

Bet your da said something similar

Leave a comment:

• scotspine
    replied

class, sheer class

v fest...anyone decent playing, like...musos?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    only dead ones are worth the rush eh?
    They don't make them like they used to. Some day you'll understand that.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Halo posted : ]in fact I might just take BGG & go away for the weekend
    Lo Gorgeous !

We're away in Holland that weekend thank god !

As for traffic, (someone asked earlier), if it's V in Essex, then you're fooked. Just be prepared to sit in traffic after you come off the A12 and you'll eventually get there.
    Last edited by Board Game Geek; 13 August 2009, 17:07.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    only dead ones are worth the rush eh?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    1st festival Stonehenge 1984
    Last festival: Rock In Rio 2001
    Best festival: Trewargey Tree Fayre. 1989 ish.

I don't surge to the front for any living bands now.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman_1
    replied
    Take a gazebo and setup all the tents around it. Everyone will want to come to your party. (The music stops at 12 and we found 1 beer tent open till 2am).

Dont setup camp downhill or downwind from the porta-lavs unless you like the smell and sound of a nice current of tulip running under and in your tent.

Setup the tents by the fences so its easier to find in the dark. There are 000's of tents and when you are hanging they all look the same.

Take a torch so you can see the cables the tents are fixed into the ground with in the dark.

As with the loos, the showers are rank!!! We took a 5 gallon water can so we could shower army style. The ladies seem to like watching it too. :-)

Get there early. You will get a decent pitch for the tent that isnt 3km's from the action.
    Last edited by Mailman_1; 13 August 2009, 16:15. Reason: .

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    1st festival Stonehenge 1984
    Last festival: Rock In Rio 2001
    Best festival: Trewargey Tree Fayre. 1989 ish.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by Advocate View Post
    I'll be heading up to the Weston Park venue; better line up than last year, same weather though I recon.

Weston Park is also the better venue. The one down south has bloody trees in front of the main stage and is smaller, no fun fair and no Friday night indie disco

Havent been V since 2007... Glasto is the only one I go to now...

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    I'll be heading up to the Weston Park venue; better line up than last year, same weather though I recon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X