• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Job Market

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Job Market"

Collapse

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
    No education on my CV, too old now for it to be relevant
    Any work over 10 to 12 years old is no longer on my CV as it's not relevant anymore (10 in I.T. is like 20 years outside IT imo)
    I've seen jobserve ads for Snr Project Managers and Programme Managers wanting a degree 2:2 minimum, like WFT that was 25 years ago?

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/contrac...20developer.do

Average daily rate of £450 for excel developers
    Boomed!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Hey guys - why not just learn something that's common as tulip (like Excel) inside out. Then get any office job going, for the time being, at whatever rate.
    Surely that's better than not working.
    http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/contrac...20developer.do

Average daily rate of £450 for excel developers

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    The one who cannot figure out how old you are by adding years of experience and education.
    No education on my CV, too old now for it to be relevant
    Any work over 10 to 12 years old is no longer on my CV as it's not relevant anymore (10 in I.T. is like 20 years outside IT imo)

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    Why can't you put 45 y.o. in your CV, are there any consequences if they ever find out ? You may also remove some old / irrelevant experience from your CV to make it look lighter and easier for agents to digest.
    There is only one employer worse that the one discriminating on the age. The one who cannot figure out how old you are by adding years of experience and education.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Hey guys - why not just learn something that's common as tulip (like Excel) inside out. Then get any office job going, for the time being, at whatever rate.
    Surely that's better than not working.
    Because for many clients and especially agents, a contractor is only as good as their last gig.

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    I seem to be getting a call everyday about real contract roles. Secured my first contract yesterday since being back in the country, and currently arguing my current permie notice period down so I can actually start it. Best rate ever (average but not particularly high)

There are green shoots.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Why can't you put 45 y.o. in your CV, are there any consequences if they ever find out ? You may also remove some old / irrelevant experience from your CV to make it look lighter and easier for agents to digest.
    Only because I don't lie about anything. If that's what it takes to get a contract then I'm not sure I've recently seen one worth lying for.

And what is "irrelevant"? I have twice recently had to explain that something interesting was too early in my experience to show up in my current CV. If you have had as much experience as I have, then any CV of a readable length (e.g. 4 pages) will of necessity have much missed out. Even in the last 10 years' experience, I have 3 different CVs: and any agent who only has 1 of them will have me unfairly pigeon-holed.

If I have to lie, I may find it more convenient to have 3 different names. Then we 3 could all apply for different jobs.......
    Last edited by expat; 13 August 2009, 15:06.

Leave a comment:

• zamzummim
    replied
    Yeh, I've been putting 21 y.o on my CV for the last 20 years now.

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    I didn't put my age on my CV ..

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    There's hope for all of us as we get older.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...lds-sales.html

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    and back to the original question

I've not had any calls for weeks, then this week - 3 calls so far but all for permie jobs one of which is actually contracter to permie so I'm waiting to hear if I will get an interview as the permie salary is pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Got a mark 2. like this babywith the speaker underneath. It's my friends who has given it to me as long as I play keyboards in his band although I am a pretty average player (I play the drums mostly)

He had a job clearing stuff out of the BBC when they moved and was told to chuck it out, he though "that's coming with me".

Don't know enough about the Wurlitzer to say.

Wurlitzer has a far more sonic power and wonderful bell like chimes - Roy Wood used to use one - and I recall 10CC Wall St shuffle uses one as well .

I thinks its pretty rare to come across the Old Wurlitzers nowasdays.

I had to tune one once and you have to use a solder iron - my that was fun.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Which model of Fender Rhodes do you have ?

Do you like the Wurlitzer ?
    Got a mark 2. like this babywith the speaker underneath. It's my friends who has given it to me as long as I play keyboards in his band although I am a pretty average player (I play the drums mostly)

He had a job clearing stuff out of the BBC when they moved and was told to chuck it out, he though "that's coming with me".

Don't know enough about the Wurlitzer to say.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I'll be on the market in 6 weeks, looks like I might have to get involved with all this linkedIn pish going about these days as most of my regular agents have nothing in the bag for me. Might get an extension here, rather do nothing to be honest, play with my new Fender Rhodes.
    Which model of Fender Rhodes do you have ?

Do you like the Wurlitzer ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X