• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Top gear - August 2nd - V12 Vantage"

Collapse

• chef
    replied
    great video

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Thanks for that - I'd have been more impressed if anyone on TG had bothered to mention it (in full) but that would have meant talking about cars and how they work, which they resolutely avoid.
    Its probably accepted knowledge that Jay Leno is a car nut first and a TV presenter second (cars have to be paid for somehow)
    If you want an idea of how good he is with cars, have a look at this clip

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...tml?vid=213453

Its about 20 minutes on a 1925 Doble Series E Steam Car, one of only 4 or 5 still running. He actually is in contact with the owners of the other cars, none of whom seem to be in America.

The clip really demonstrates how thorough he is with these old cars. Not just in getting them restored (this particular car was partially restored before he got it) but also in making sure that the cars can still be driven without falling apart or suffering further damage.
    Once you've watched the whole thing You should have a very good understanding of how the car works and it just goes to show how much of a car geek Leno is.

He made an episode of Rides a couple of years ago which showed what went into restoring a Duesenberg which he had tracked down to a garage in california. By tracked down I mean - him and his team went through the original paper work from the car dealers and managed to find out who had originally bought it, who it had been subsequently sold to and who current owner was.
    The car was wreck when they found it and buried under a lot of junk after being left in a garage for a few decades.
    Rather than completely restoring it, they replaced any parts which were beyond repair, fixed up what they could and got it running. It was a very respectful restoration.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    If you knew anything about cars then you would know what the buzz about Jay Leno was.
    Celebs - esp Septic ones - and I freely admit I don't.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    They weren´t running out of anything but money. Due to cost cutting they had only enough money to make one programme less than last year; Clarkson said before the beginning of the series they'd just use the budget to make a load of good shows and run out before the last one, which they'd have to make for a tenner or so.
    Interesting - as I said, they could try testing a few cars - it has to be cheaper than all the explosions in Clarkson's ads. Of course it is their right to stick to their editorial integrity and make a load of old bollox instead.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    There was nothing in that Vantage review that they couldn't have done in 15 seconds - the VW ads thing was crap filler too. If they are running out of ideas maybe they could test a few cars - oh I forgot, it's not a car programme. As for prev week's co driver, her indoors opined "she's really stunning" to which I offered my standard "really? I hadn't noticed"
    They weren´t running out of anything but money. Due to cost cutting they had only enough money to make one programme less than last year; Clarkson said before the beginning of the series they'd just use the budget to make a load of good shows and run out before the last one, which they'd have to make for a tenner or so.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    If you knew anything about cars then you would know what the buzz about Jay Leno was.

To save you the effort of googling.
    Jay Leno not only has a huge collection of cars, he also finds and restores cars, some so old as to be almost forgotten. He has a team of mechanics working full time restoring (full and sympathetic), researching, running and maintaining the cars. Not only does he have the cars but in the cases where the original manufacturer is no more then he'll hunt down and collect all the paper work he can find relating to those cars. Orginal design drawings, dealer records etc...
    He is without a doubt the biggest motor head they have ever had on the show.
    Thanks for that - I'd have been more impressed if anyone on TG had bothered to mention it (in full) but that would have meant talking about cars and how they work, which they resolutely avoid.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Like the new avatar Churchy, always knew you were a bit of a Window Licker
    That's me lying on my back under a glass table!

(Think the book/film "The Choirboys" )

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post

interested in reading Harry Potter!

There, fixed it for you!
    Like the new avatar Churchy, always knew you were a bit of a Window Licker

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    BTW, did anyone watch the tightrope thing after it? I watched a bit of it - it seemed really interesting but I was too tired to stay awake for it all -

interested in reading Harry Potter!

There, fixed it for you!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Also wtf is all the buzz about Jay Leno? He told one funny anecdote and delivered one sharp one-liner, but so what? Most of us could do that - as for his list of cars - as he said who wouldn't if they could? He seems entirely unremarkable IMHO

To save you the effort of googling.
    Jay Leno not only has a huge collection of cars, he also finds and restores cars, some so old as to be almost forgotten. He has a team of mechanics working full time restoring (full and sympathetic), researching, running and maintaining the cars. Not only does he have the cars but in the cases where the original manufacturer is no more then he'll hunt down and collect all the paper work he can find relating to those cars. Orginal design drawings, dealer records etc...
    He is without a doubt the biggest motor head they have ever had on the show.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    BTW, did anyone watch the tightrope thing after it? I watched a bit of it - it seemed really interesting but I was too tired to stay awake for it all -
    Its a bit too long. Condensed to 30 minutes would be great.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    (staying just out of reach of the police who wanted to nab him - of course they weren't going to follow him onto the wire )
    Didn't they have guns in 1974? Bloody amateurs.

(It was a great little film. Just totally incredible, the self-belief that must take.)

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    Strongly recommended.

The wire-walker M. Petit is wonderfully enthusiastic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_On_Wire
    Thanks Men - will do!

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Yes excellent it was. Wot a froggy nutter.
    Anyway he crossed a wire linking the twin towers not once but a few times (staying just out of reach of the police who wanted to nab him - of course they weren't going to follow him onto the wire )
    Those were my thoughts too! I couldn't keep my eyes open though... Thank the Lord for BBC iPlayer

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Yes excellent it was. Wot a froggy nutter.
    Anyway he crossed a wire linking the twin towers not once but a few times (staying just out of reach of the police who wanted to nab him - of course they weren't going to follow him onto the wire )

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    I might try to catch up with it on iPlayer!
    Strongly recommended.

The wire-walker M. Petit is wonderfully enthusiastic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_On_Wire

Leave a comment:

Working...
X