• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I hope this doesn't catch on: references up front"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    The agent was probably sacked a few days later.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I gave a reference to a guy on my team - while we were both on the way to the airport in a taxi.

I believe I used the phrases "He really knows how to proactively synergise the team dynamic". "He can handle the paradigm modifications required to smoothly switch between collaborative and focused working".

Strangely, he got the contract. Stranger still, it was a genuine reference check, from Progressive. No fishing at all.
    I bet you felt dirty afterwards

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    If you mean you don't mind giving references before an offer, *you* may not mind it but your referees might mind being hassled every other day by frivolous requests for a reference and they might even stop giving one after three or four times. I would, if I thought the person was giving my details to agents like that.
    Well, quite so. It's all very well in buoyant markets where you apply for very few contracts because you get practically every one that you go for. In the 100-CVs-for-every-job market, where you will be applying for scores of contracts, you have to think of how your referees will react to the 50th phone call: will it be such as to get you the job? Or have you wasted your goodwill on a dozen fishermen?
    I see where you're both coming from, but I provided references for numerous job applications during my 5 months bench time, and my willing referees were only contacted twice (neither for the contract I ended up with )

From my experience, those agencies that ask for references up-front are not planning to use them up-front. As for fishing calls - they didn't receive any.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    If you mean you don't mind giving references before an offer, *you* may not mind it but your referees might mind being hassled every other day by frivolous requests for a reference and they might even stop giving one after three or four times. I would, if I thought the person was giving my details to agents like that.
    Well, quite so. It's all very well in buoyant markets where you apply for very few contracts because you get practically every one that you go for. In the 100-CVs-for-every-job market, where you will be applying for scores of contracts, you have to think of how your referees will react to the 50th phone call: will it be such as to get you the job? Or have you wasted your goodwill on a dozen fishermen?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Grinder View Post
    I honestly don't mind this; it is a bit rude, but if it makes the difference and gets you the job then more fool them. ...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I gave a reference to a guy on my team - while we were both on the way to the airport in a taxi.

I believe I used the phrases "He really knows how to proactively synergise the team dynamic". "He can handle the paradigm modifications required to smoothly switch between collaborative and focused working".

Strangely, he got the contract. Stranger still, it was a genuine reference check, from Progressive. No fishing at all.

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    I honestly don't mind this; it is a bit rude, but if it makes the difference and gets you the job then more fool them.

if you haven't got any clientco bods who will do it (as I have) then just find anyone as our forum-brothers above have offered.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied

I'm sure you must have proactively leveraged something near me. No probs

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Happy to.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Sure, I can.
    Done it many times.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I'll provide one if you want to apply. Anyone up for the other one?
    Sure, I can.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I'll provide one if you want to apply. Anyone up for the other one?

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Roxy music - more than this.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    WHS

If you're firm, and the contract exists, no agent will turn you down for declining to give references prior to an offer.

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    Tell'em to do one...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X